Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, RJ, RJ, RJ. Calling the prophet..

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Rustbuster, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

‘Looking to retro fit a pair of fog lights to my ‘84 CE1 MK2 GTI. I’ve been reading previous posts and replies from yourself RJ and have a couple of Q’s.
    I have a pair of factory white/yellow and brown wires on a two pin connector under the coolant res. With no relay (53) in slot 7 in the fusebox, this factory setup, when I switch the fogs on (one click) from the 2 position factory switch I get a test light 12v on at that white/yellow wire under the reservoir. However, when I insert a number 53 relay to slot 7 I loose that test light 12v.
    I’ve read a post you wrote a while ago that directs that I need to disconnect the grey/yellow wire on the back of the fusebox from terminal M/1 and plug that directly into the floating single grey/yellow connector (which I’ve found behind fusebox).
    Just want to make sure that I’m reading this right before blundering on only to produce that acrid horror that is the smell of frying my loom or fusebox? I just can’t see how connecting those two grey/yellow wires and installing a relay in slot 7 will produce 12v at my white/yellow wire under the coolant res? ThNks in advance..

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Ahh, thanks! Did not know that. Now that you’ve put that in there will it attract him?

4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

He’ll get a notification that he’s been tagged so hopefully he’ll appear

Rustbuster likes this.
  5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Unless he has turned notifications off as he gets so many :lol:

Rustbuster likes this.
  6. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Maybe he just needs a break from the lot of us - couldn’t blame him for that.

Rustbuster likes this.
  7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I just looked at when rubjonny had replied to my issue of this as mine is ce1. Have a look at the images. To make you feel better the car hasn't caught fire

Attached Files:

Rustbuster likes this.
  8. Rustbuster

Thanks man. I’ll connect the grey/yellows up and put a relay in and hopefully job done. Thanks again.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep you're correct, join the loose grey/yellow near fusebox to the one which used to go to M/1. all this does is beef up the power supply for the front fogs, without it they'll potentially be a bit dim

Rustbuster likes this.
  10. Rustbuster

Outstanding, thank you.