Megasquirt for dummies

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Tristan, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'm seriously toying with the idea of MS-ing my mk2 after I rebuild it. For someone who's never done it, nor has never personally mapped a car, just how simple is it?
    I'm a mechanic by trade, I enjoy wiring, and I have a wideband lambda reader. Engine will be either an ABF or a tweaked 2.0 8v.

I like the idea of EDIS type coil, or COP and not using batch fired injection.

Thanks in advance.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hey Tristan.

These points would help you along your way.

1. Basic Electronics skills (soldering and handling) to assemble it well.
    2. Wiring skills to integrate the system into your car.
    3. Some understanding of engine management to be able to start setting it up.
    4. Knowing what you actually have available to use with engine hardware.

The hardest thing by far will be working out and setting up the tables on the ECU. Mapping it will be based on everything being correctly configured to start with.

Being a mechanic will be very helpful though as you will know your way around. It's a large learning curve but is possible with enough effort and enthusiasm.

Gurds

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Gurds and Eddie. I've read the links as Ed listed, just there's very few people using it here in Ireland compared to the UK.

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I cut my teeth in efi with the Megasquirt and it was a very valuable leaning experience (taken a lot of it on to my day job as a motorcycle mechanic).

I've road tuned a couple of my own cars now on other systems but the principal is the same.

It will give you a better insight into your day job so worth it for the experience alone!.