megasquirt Prices

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Vduber, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Vduber Forum Member

I've been reading up on prices of this MS sfuel injection system and i'm just wondering about costs? and how easy it is to set up once its all in the car.

i've been looking here for prices but not to sure if it shows everything. http://www.americanv8engines.co.uk./?Products:Fuel_Injection :MegaSquirt%2FAccessories

Vduber

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

i've just been reading up on the post in this section on his install, sounds good

basic kit about 160, then all the extra hard ware(injectors ect)

3. Vduber Forum Member

sounds a good system but i think there might be alot of hidden costs in there. i reckon it will come close to 400 or if yuo use throttle bodys close to 700

and it looks fairly hard to figure it out. but i guess it will be time to learn it more than anything.

4. DuBDuDe Forum Member

I have been reading up on this. Not easy.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Read Martyn16v's thread link in my 2 litre 16v thread..

6. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Sorry I didn't give much pos input earlier (I needed sleep)

The basic package (at the moment) builds you a basic injector control system, with a basic map. you could compare it with the early systems of the 80's, when the later upgrade comes out it bring it really upto date [:D]

if you already have an injecton system your sorted, but you need injectors, & all the bits & you buying everything new, yer about 400+

If I was to also have a go, I'd source everthing as cheap as possible, mostly for free ;)

The great thing is the tuning aspect, you can alter your settings as the engine involes in stages, of course final setting up should be done on the rollers, your engines health is at risk!

Also note it is open project, meaning theres no come backs, & your responible for putting it together [:s]

7. DuBDuDe Forum Member

In other words you will be driving about with a laptop on your lap for the first 6 months after rebuilding the car :lol:

8. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

The basic MS controller costs $180 from Glen's Garage (including stim), but Glen has a huge waiting list because of the quality of the kits he puts together in his spare time. The quicker (and slightly cheaper) option is to buy the partial kits from the MS ordering page and the components separately from Digi-Key (or similar) using the BOM on the ordering page.

The MS as standard is a fairly simple fuel-only controller, but you can upgrade the firmware (for free, it's all open source) to Megasquirt'n'Spark-Extra. This totally transforms the MS into an all singing all dancing fuel and spark controller with so many extra features it's daft.

The cost of the system outside the MS itslef will vary wildly depending on what you put it on, and how shiny you want it to look ;) The total cost of my project so far is approaching 500, but that inlcudes a couple of bits that aren't strictly necessary such as the wideband controller. I reckon I could install MS on a digipants 8v for less than 100.

The learning curve is fairly steep, but if you take your time reading everything and making sure you understand each section before you move on, you shouldn't have any problems. The documentation is second to none, and there is a huge amount of support to be had from other users. That said, don't just wade into the forum and start asking questions without bothering to do your research first, questions that can be answered by RTFM tend to get ignored.

Some helpful links:
    The MegaManual - Read this twice. Then print it out, and sit down with a cup of coffee and a highlighter and read it again. This is the most useful document on the planet.
    MSEFI forum
    Megasquirt'n'Spark-Extra
    Megasquirt Yahoo Group - the Yahoo groups aren't used much now the forums here, but may have something useful to you in the archives.
    Megasquirt UK group
    MegaVAG group - not as dirty as it sounds :lol:

VW Vortex SEM forum - they're american, but they occasionally do something useful :lol:
    More vortex threads:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1010367
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1377841
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1408586

Hope this helps.

9. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

No you get the slave, I mean girlfriend, to drive :lol: There is a VE table estimator to get you started, then it only takes a few runs through MSTweak to get a map that is at least safe to drive on. If in doubt just bung in a bit more fuel until you have time to tune it properly :lol:

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

how easy is it to map would a capable rolling road tuner be able to do it :)

11. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

If I can do it a capable rolling road tuner should certainly be able :lol: The software is very easy to pick up, anyone familiar with some form of mappable management should pick it up in less than 5 minutes.

You can get a fairly good map built up yourself using a combination of datalogs, feedback from the O2 sensor and the trusty butt-dyno. Rolling road time can then be used to take it that last 10%
    Edited by: martyn_16v