Mileage reading

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by stella, Feb 7, 2010.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Last week my car had a new exhaust/cat and new front brake disks. All straightforward stuff, I thought.

I didn't notice until the next day that someone appeared to have gone for a long joyride in it. It had gone from 145K to nearly quarter of a million miles!

When I looked more closely, it is now registering in kilometres. I have no idea why and I don't know how to change it back!

The trip meter now can't be zeroed - it has been like that some time - so I don't know whether it's faulty wiring.

I asked someone at VW and they said they thought a car could only be altered from miles to kilometres or vice-versa just once, during the first 200 miles. Then it stays at whatever is chosen.

Any ideas how to get it back to miles?

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I'm beginning to think there is an electrical fault somewhere in the dash.

Not only can I not zero the tripmeter or change it back to miles, today whilst I was driving along minding my own business, I was kept entertained by the clock changing time all on its own. Up and down the minutes went, without ever a touch from me!

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Is one of the adjuster buttons stuck in?

4. smp1987 Forum Member

my friend who works at vw had this happen on his golf said the clocks just give up i don't know if it is true could just be a fault......