Millers oil - race / Motorsport spec anyone running it?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by The_Teller, May 6, 2013.

1. The_Teller Forum Member

Considering this millers product
    http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/tds-automotive.asp?prodsegmentID=926&sector=Motorsport

Recommended where manufacturer recommends 10w40 which is the grade I'm running my mk2 trackcar.

Recently completed track day at Brands on 1st of May, absolute blast and I completed approx 172miles / laps :-) Every lap full bore to....
    However though my Mocal oil cooler did a great job in dec (only 120laps in pouring rain) this time with higher ambient temp I saw the oil temp in the afternoon creep up to a peak 112 degrees C and subsequent drop in oil pressure.

I've decided I'm going to fit a new baffled sump, new oil pump and am considering investing in switching over to this oil. Appreciate feedback from anyone running millers oil.

2. AWK-53 Forum Member

I've used Millers since 2008 in my MK2 Golf 16V, used it for track days and racing in the MK2 Golf GTI championship and also Production GTI with no problems at all. I run 10w60 with a 25 row cooler. I know some other racers use and think highly of Motul but I'm not sure what viscosity they use

3. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

I run the MOTUL 300v Chrono 15w50 in my race car (Mk2 16v). I found the oil pressure to high at max revs with a 10w60.. But every engine is different! I'm seeing anout 80psi at max revs now. and about 22psi at 100 degrees oil temp.. Race conditions on seeing about 105-110 with a 19 row cooler.

Oil temps of 112 is nothgin to worry about. - It needs to get to 100 degrees to boil off any moisture etc. I'd be getting wary of anything above 120-125.. Any decent oil wont degrade too way past that anyway..

4. ttelracs New Member

I haven't used Millers or raced but.... I have worked with Millers Oils before as a supplier and have visited the factory many times and have to say they do hide their light under a bushel as their R & D department have produced some fantastic oils which the big boys can't compete with and have won several awards. Take a good look at the Nanodrive products here at www.millersoils.co.uk/nanodrive.asp. I'll be flushing through with some 'cheap' semi synth and then using Nano oil in the engine AND the gearbox. (This may appear as a slightly biased opinion, but thought it worthwhile posting)