mini supercharger!!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by dannygti, Apr 21, 2004.

1. dannygti Forum Member

hello all im new here!
    shud be buying my bros mk3 golfgti 2.0 8v and i want to superchage it! iv heard some were that the charger off the new mini will go on i was just wondering what work is involved? cant afford to spend thousands so this is a cheaper option!

2. dannygti Forum Member

any1 help?

3. VDubGav Forum Member

Yep thats correct danny,just remove your airbox,and
    sellotape the supercharger in its place,you may
    need to be a bit handy with elastic bands,to get the
    pulley to be driven effectively!!!
    hope this helps! ;)

4. Jono_TDI Forum Member

What a Usefull answer even made me laugh dunno bout the elastic bands tho, Will they take 100 ft / lbs of torque, what about the tape wont that melt being so close the engine and what about the airbox or you just surgesting we remove the airfilter Saxo style

5. trendy tramp Forum Member

the charger is an m45 and is on the small side for a 2 litre. a merc m62 size eaton is better suited

tt

edit for typo
    Edited by: trendy tramp

6. Vduber Forum Member

on the eaton website it says that the m45 is suited up to engine sizes up to 2l.

7. trendy tramp Forum Member

the key words being 'up to 2 litre' - that's the top of it's working range, which i why i said it was on the small side, not too small. the m62 size is more suitable for a 2 litre and if you're going to buy a charge you may as well pick the best one for the application. the m45 will give increased performance on a stock 2 litre engine but remember eaton supply the OEM market more so than the after market side, so are primarily concerned with using supercharging for engine downsizing rather than outright performance. if you wished to increase performance further using the m45 you would struggle and would be working well out of the compressors high efficiency range

tt

8. Vduber Forum Member

cheap option is the m45. going very cheap at the moment because the m45 that is found on the mini is upgradeable to a diffrent charger..... so you can pick them up for around 200

9. trendy tramp Forum Member

i recently picked up a merc m62 for 220 - like brand new. not as common as the mini's but more suitable. i'd rather shell out a bit more now rather than having to shell out twice when you reach the limits of the m45.

tt

10. S1MMA Forum Member

How much would I be looking at for someone to do this conversion if I supplied the supercharger (say M62)??? 2.0 8v AGG engine.

11. Rallye Forum Junkie

means a lot of custom work, best doing it DIY stylee

12. trendy tramp Forum Member

i wouldn't say a lot of custom work - you'd need to reduce CR a little and mount the charger - the rest is plumbing the charge air system

tt

13. Jono_TDI Forum Member

Would a M62 Charger be over the top for a G40, Lookin at the cost of these in comparison to the G-ladder, they are far cheaper, As for riggin a few custom brakets wouldnt be to much hassle

14. trendy tramp Forum Member

my first thought is that it would suffer from very high part-load fuel consumption and reasonably high consumption at WOT. WOT performance would be interesting though to say the least :)

tt

15. dannygti Forum Member

thanks for all the info fellas il have to look into it abit more yet! just gotta find sum1 who is clued up on the stuff coz i aint really!

16. Vduber Forum Member

you ulso have to look into fueling it up. can't just shove loads of air in without fuel

17. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

well according to what i read the eaton M45 is suitable for engines up to 3 litre for road use.

so perhaps it would work on a 2 litre - all depends how much boost you are going for....

18. trendy tramp Forum Member

"but remember eaton supply the OEM market more so than the after market side, so are primarily concerned with using supercharging for engine downsizing rather than outright performance"

tt

19. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

god he's a bit full on?

shall i ban him....

20. trendy tramp Forum Member

yes, please ban me so i can go play with my chargers

tt