Mint low-mileage Corrado now f*cked.

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by Trev16v, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I bought this car for my wife for her birthday last year and one year later exactly, on her birthday, it gets bloody shunted. She's okay, just whiplash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a 2.0L 16V with about 65K miles on the clock. I had to do a fair bit of travel to get it and I don't see us finding anything like it again so easily.

If anyone can give advice on the following I'd appreciate it:

- Whiplash claims. She has a bit of pain and stiffness and so far has the report from when she was seen by the ambulance. Any other steps to take with regards to making a case to claim from insurance?

- What we should try to claim for the car. I paid 2K for it a year ago. It is (was) mint, as you'd expect considering the mileage. The history paperwork with the car is massive, full of proper VW main dealer services (even very recent ones, costing up to 700 by the previous owner) and so on. Everything about it was spot on. It's difficult to prove any value for this car because all the Corrado adverts I find usually have stupidly high mileages.

The insurance will be okay because the other chap was clearly at fault and is insured (by Direct Line) as the police have confirmed and we have the police report. My advice, from JettaTDi's thread - call the police out to an incident where you may need a police report or an ambulance to check whiplash over.

Cheers

Trev

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

theyll make an offer on the car which will be very low. dont accept it

my advice would be to get in contact with a company like angel assistance or help hire. theyll love to take on your case as its non-liability.

they will point you in the right directions for the medical stuff as they get to claim their costs from the other side.

as for the car, insist on an independent assessment to value it etc

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

the only thing i'd suggest getting a GP's opinion, probably stronger than an ambulance report.

4. beetie

beetie Forum Member

as for the car i'd say try and get a load of print outs for adverts of other corrados that you can compare yours to, and show them to the insurers valuer to show them that yours is worth more.

5. Trev16v

I've been looking through lots of adverts this morning and I have a big stack of them printed out now. Completed listings on eBay has been useful, as is Autotrader and so on, but most useful of all has been Pistonheads.

I can't find anything with such a low mileage. I've got adverts for decent 16V 2.0L Corrados with prices of around 2,500 (mileages typically 120K miles - double the mileage of ours!); and a couple of adverts with prices in excess of 3,000. Now this time round I'm buggered if we are going to suffer any loss whatsoever out of this, so I'm going to push for 3000, plus 500 for my expenses that'll be involved in travel and lost time (as I don't get paid holidays - I'm a Limited company) to obtain another one. The best exampes I can find advertised tend to be very far up North or in Ireland. They'll tell me I'm taking the p*ss but that is a realistic sum of money that would ensure that we can have a similar replacement car sitting on our drive without any financial loss to ourselves.

As far as I'm concerned it's none of their business what we paid for it!

6. redmatfoster New Member

When my mk2 was writen off, me not at fault. i was offered 400 which i refused, but i rang the Financial Ombudsman Service and made a complaint which really helped as they contact the insurance company and if the claim has not been completed within 8 weeks of the complaint you can ask the ombudsmen to take control of the claim which the insurance companies don't like.

so as soon as you get the first offer refuse it and ring the ombudsman, after 6,1/2 weeks from my complaint i still had not been offered a decent amount for my, so i just wrote a letter saying if had not recieved a cheque for the insured amount by the date the ombudsman could act they would be dealing on my behalf, and suprise suprise the cheque for the full amount was posted straight out.

with regards to personal injury my insurance co assigned me a solicitor, although the other party,s insurance co offered me a payout not to take legal action.

hope it all works out for you, its a shame your corrado is a minter.

7. jedi_stylie Forum Member

is that a write off then?

8. Trev16v

Again many thanks for the excellent advice.

Jedi: Definitely so. No official confirmation from any bodyshop or insurance company as yet, but yes this will definitely be written off. The quarter panel has been pushed forward so that the driver door gap has reduced and the door is difficult to open and close, as is the tailgate. The rear arch is now touching the tyre. It's f*cked.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you could write off old cars like ours by keying a few panels and bricking a couple windows. do you know what it means for a car to be an insurance write off?

10. red 8V Forum Member

I fixed mine for 550 pounds the insurance gave me 2k , 200 for my old car back , back on the road still got some cash left to spend on her, if they want to take it away don't let them, i think that might be a cat B right off , mine was a D

Red

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

that will need jigging to get it straight, and even then it may not be 100%, if its moved the door gap then its going to be banana shaped underneath.