Missing bits help

Discussion in '8-valve' started by I'mMarkTwoToo, Oct 1, 2018.

1. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

I'm currently wading through various odds 'n' sods that seem to be missing from my first ever Golf GTI and wondered if I can get some pointers. I think here I am missing the timing inspection plug?
    [​IMG]

And here - I'm guessing should be some kind of 'proper' bung - not garden hose and a bolt?

[​IMG]

And finally, there is what appears to be a socket where there should be something more, errr, designed for the job?

[​IMG]

Any help in identifying these three missing or modified parts would be much appreciated.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You're missing a small insert for the timing bung. Not hugely important tbh.

There's usually a rubber cap on the vac line where the hose is.

The socket , that should be just an 8mm (13mm hex head) bolt .

I'mMarkTwoToo likes this.
  3. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

Cheers for that Tristan, much appreciated. The last one with the socket in place, there is a (long) bolt of some description but it's almost as though the socket is acting like a bushing. Am I best removing the socket altogether?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yeah just a little plastic cap, no big deal. scrappy hunt for mk3 golf and poverty spec mk4 golf, or you can buy one from the dealer 020301132 at 1.79+VAT
    2. yeah wee cap here, part number 431611817 3.64+VAT or again scrappy hunt but only on MK1/2 era cars MK3 dropped it for most if not all.
    3. yeah its had a random bolt fitted, you need N 10011301 but this is NLA. Not hard to get though it's an M8 bolt, 140mm long with 28mm of thread at the end

5. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

Thanks rubjonny. I'll get those bits sorted, if only for the fact that what's there at the moment all looks a bit gash. I'm working through your post on how to set-up the engine and it's proving invaluable. Lots of niff naff and trivia to sort out as and when I'm finding it. So far I've replaced the rocker cover breather and bung - they'd been siliconed in place, cleaned out the ISV and the throttle bodies, all of which has helped the car to idle much better. I've got some vacuum hose coming as well. The parcel shelf was held up by a wiper blade rubber cut in half and tied up, 7.5 hours of welding was needed on the jacking points and inside the rear offside arch which was full of mastic. The loom was hanging down lower than the front spoiler........you get the picture.

6. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Another thing was/is missing is any form of belt covers. I have seen various combintaions of top cover only, bottom cover only etc but as there seem to be variety of hoses running in close proximity to the belt, I thought it best to at least get the top cover (odo you recommend the full set?). Can anyone shed any light on how best to get the back plate secured in place please. There doesn't seem to be enough thread from the rocker cover bolts to enable a nut or anything to be used - stupid question time and no doubt the answer is enough to have you spitting your tea (or coffee for the hipsters out there) across your screen. ****AArrrgghhh....more trouble attaching images.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  7. rubjonny

what you have there is the later half moon plastic inner piece which requires the plastic type upper cover. its same for the 1.6-1.8 8v so not too hard to find, and you do want a complete set.

if the engine was originally older it would have had a metal cover which explains why there isnt enough thread, what you could do is buy a rubber rocker cover seal kit which comes complete with a new set of studs, including longer ones to suit the inner plastic half-moon piece you have there:
    https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2716

do you have the inner metal plate behind the waterpump?

8. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

I'll have to check on the waterpump when I get home tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is missing as well. I bought the upper cover at the same time as the half moon piece, so that is ready to go on, I was frustrated when I came to fit the half moon bit and realised it wasn't going to fit. It seems then that i'm going to have to get the new seal kit that you recommend as the fuel hose (I think) has been tied to the intake pipe and I daren't drive the car with it like this. Would you recommend that I get the lower cover as well, I guess I may as well while I'm at it?

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Tierod69 on eBay sells the top, bottom and half moon covers new as a kit for very cheap

10. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

[​IMG] I will definitely order up the bottom cover too, looks like I am missing everything.........
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  11. rubjonny

ok so as a full kit, you need:
    Clipboard01.jpg

16 - 026109175A - lower cover - 16.89+VAT
    17 - 026109249 - distance piece - 3.43+VAT
    18 - N 0102695 - hex bolt, M8x38 - 0.86+VAT
    19 - 049109188B - sealing strip, shorten to 120mm - 0.62+VAT (not strictly necessary, but its so cheap may as well get it)
    20 - N 0102228 - hex bolt, M6x22 - 0.66+VAT
    21 - N 01470514 - allen head bolt - 0.49+VAT
    N 0122255 - washer for the above - 0.17+VAT

7 - 026109127C - inner metal plate - NLA
    10 - N 01023929 - hex bolt, M8x18 - 0.69+VAT
    15 - N 90053401 - M6 T-bolt - 2.32+VAT (goes in from the back side of waterpump housing, thru metal plate and secures it with M6 nut+washer)
    4 - N 01100636 - nut for the above - 0.55+VAT
    8 - N 01021226 - hex bolt, M6x12 - 0.49+VAT
    9 - N 0122265 - washer for both of the the above - 0.17+VAT x2

12. rubjonny

bolts etc can all be had in a local fixings supplier which should save a bit. Rest of it you could probably pillage out of the scrappy, though lower cover and inner metal plate only for 88 on mk2 golf, mk1 cab, rocco, 88-92 passat, 91-94 transporter and corrado G60. so not really that common, but shouldnt be too hard to source from people breaking or engine swapping, sort of thing you'll find in someones 'random bits box' :lol:

T bolt is used on a huge range of VW including MK3 so that at least you should be able to get relatively easy

13. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

Bloody hell, cheers rubjonny! That has saved me so much surfing time trying to decipher exactly what I need that I can go back to watching youtube videos of squirrels falling off fences. Honestly though mate, thank you so much. One question though, as mine is a very late 'J' 1991 (engine might not be though I guess), and the lower cover and inner plate are only for 88 mk2's, should I still be looking to fit them, I have ordered both from vw heritage, or will they not go on?

14. rubjonny

the parts I've listed are for 88-onwards MK2, i.e. plastic upper timing belt cover and half moon inner as per your picture above :)

15. rubjonny

oh and by the way, just to double check. you're supposed to remove the nuts from the left-most 2 studs, then fit the timing cover, then refit nuts?

16. I'mMarkTwoToo Forum Member

Thanks so much, I was looking for a way to spend my Saturday afternoon [:D]