Mk 1 megasquirt help

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Jake snelling, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jake snelling New Member

As this is the dedicated ecu section, does anyone have a good megasquirt map for a mk1 golf gti ? Im running ms2 v3 but cant find any good maps !! Need to figure out spark advance more than anything !

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have moved your post into a thread of it's own you are more likely to find people that may be able to help
    Quite a few people have mapped their own car's and will be able to help you get started or even help map it for you
    Worth speaking to Toyotec

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

What map are you running at the moment? Where in Essex are you?

4. Jake snelling New Member

Hi and thanks for the replys !! Im based near braintree, essex. The only map I have is a generic one supplied with the ecu. I have slowly been modding it but I think the spark map is way off !! Really need a reference point for starting.
    The map I have starts at 14 but im assuming that as the standard ignition is set at 6 at idle, my map should start at about the same point ?
    I have spark and fuel and base timing is good via fixed for timing.

5. Jake snelling New Member

Hi and thanks for the replys !! Im based near braintree, essex. The only map I have is a generic one supplied with the ecu. I have slowly been modding it but I think the spark map is way off !! Really need a reference point for starting.
    The map I have starts at 14 but im assuming that as the standard ignition is set at 6 at idle, my map should start at about the same point ?
    I have spark and fuel and base timing is good via fixed for timing.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated !

6. notenoughtime

I'm not sure on where you should be at 3000rpm but I'm sure someone Eddie/Alec may have a bit more knowledge to get you where you should be
    Your base map is just a safe starting point

7. Jake snelling New Member

Ive found shed loads of maps for 20vt conversions ! Maybe useful in the future ;)
    All ive found for 1.8 8v are for the older ecu's and software, even then there are confliction's when it comes to the spark table...
    Im pretty close to getting the old girl started !

8. notenoughtime

Look at the tables and copy them over and start from there shouldn't be to difficult

9. notenoughtime

When your up and running we are doing a Essex/east London meet 19TH Feb

10. Jake snelling New Member

That may be optimistic lol.
    Might have to turn up in the mk4...
    Where abouts is the meet ?

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I make engine calibrations from scratch, to suit the hardware. I have trained a lot of folk willing folk to map their own cars, vs putting numbers in a box.
    I shun the concept of copying maps from the internet, because "they are close".

The map that is on the ECU was most likely a base engine map with possibly configuration settings to suit the hardware the ECU was made for.
    It is expected you either understand the combustion requirements of the engine to get it going from there, or get it sorted professionally.

You said MK1 GTI. But you have not said what engine!

12. Jake snelling New Member

Hi toyotec ! Sorry, it's a 1.8 8v gti. I was hoping there would/could be a close map I could tweak to my own uses ! Been trying to read up as much as I can but have not found a formula for spark as of yet. I have got everything thing else working as it should so this is the last step before logging ect. Just need a helping hand !

13. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

There is no formula. Someone just has to be kind enough to share their expertise on the internet, then folk just copy.

14. Jake snelling New Member

Shame there is no magic formula lol.
    Anyway, had another bash today and have found that the issue may well indeed be my plugs !!
    I decided to go through the basics again, ie leads correct order ect. I popped all the plugs out onto the top of the engine. And all I got was one weak spark.
    I tried a spare set of plugs (wrong size to use sadly) and got a strong spark... !!!!! Before I ripped out the k-jet they were only a few months old ??? Is it possible the coil has knackered the plugs ?
    The plugs were bosch super 4 WR78. I would have thought these would last ?

15. Jake snelling New Member

Finally got the beast running ! A bit of fresh fuel, new plugs, and a tweak on the cranking pulse and she ran!
    Although she did throw another hissy fit by chucking oil out of the dipstick ! Blocked breather in the rocker cover maybe/hopefully ! Happy chappy !

beetie and mickey marrows like this.