mk 4 1.8T exhaust emission warning light.

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by mull, Aug 10, 2005.

1. mull New Member

Hi,

Just driving home from work tonight and the exhaust emission warning lamp came on.

Is it advisable to get it to vw stright away or could the aa be able to sort it out cos i dont know whether it is safe to drive or not. It seems to be running fine, a little jumpy at idle but nothing major.

Any ideas I would be very grateful, im worried that this is gonna cost me a fortune!![:^(]

2. philip walker Forum Member

Have the fault codes read either by your dealer or a good independant garage, using Vag-Com or the equivelent.

3. Seraph Banned

as above,
    and let us know result, could be useful knowing! :)

4. mull New Member

will do, car is booked in today i will post the results later.

5. timt20v New Member

hi,

how did your car go? I have just had the same problem everything seems to be running fine bar the lumpy feeling when idle. I have got a friend looking at mine tomorrow. I also have a rattle which sounds like it is from the exhaust so am worried that i might need a new CAT, not good [:^(] any one else with info about this please spread the wealth>>>>

6. mull New Member

took it to vw and they fitted a new sensor in the exhaust???? im not poo hot on engines. paid them 190 and the light went off however i also have the lumpy idle? What turned out to be the fault on yours tim?

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

owch! 190 for what would have been a lambda sensor... (2nd one at that, post cat)

"stealers" well named

8. timt20v New Member

The light ended up going out by its self, still feels lumpy from time to time. my mate resetted the connection a cople of times and the light went out but returned.

I have ended kind off ignoring the problem at the moment due to a service 2 months ago which cost 600 pounds.
    will keep updating though

9. philip walker Forum Member

Yep loads of lambda sensors are starting to fail. They do cost 90/100 plus the labour to fit. Some can be a bit of a fiddle to fit especialy on RS4s S4s etc.