MK 7 2015 Slow starter return sound

Discussion in 'Mk7' started by steveb, Nov 3, 2015.

1. steveb Paid Member Paid Member

Hi have just booked my 2015 GTI which I bought new in March in at supplying dealer to have the starter investigated. It sounds as though the motor is slow on on coming out, just like if you held the key over for too long. It only ever does it on first start up of the day.
    Just wondered if any other MK 7 owners have any experience of this ?

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Mine has been ok Steve.

I did just come out of the dealers today though with another fault. The High Flow Fuel Pump was weeping and leaking fuel into the engine bay, so it had to be changed for a new one :thumbup:

If I was you I'd check this just to make sure. As its quite dangerous.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is manufacturing defect.

Sounds like this perhaps?

[video=youtube_share;0YDFafhPvOA]http://youtu.be/0YDFafhPvOA[/video]

4. steveb Paid Member Paid Member

Richard, thanks for your reply. Will keep an eye on the High Flow Fuel Pump.:thumbup:

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  5. steveb Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Toyotec
    Thanks for the video, that is exactly the noise it is making. Car is booked in for next Monday 9th. When I spoke to Service Manager on the phone he said he had never heard of it before surprise ! suprise !
    However they are taking the car in Monday pm to keep overnight, and then start it from cold on the Tuesday morning.

Will let you know how I get on.:thumbup:

Toyotec likes this.
  6. Toyotec

Was it sorted in the end?

7. steveb Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Toyotec & Richard

I picked my car up today after it had spent two days at the dealers. I booked it in on the 19th October the first appointment I could get was 9th November.

I rang the service manager yesterday to see what progress had been made, he said the technician had started it first thing in the morning, and could hear nothing !

The car had been making the noise on first start every morning for weeks.

This morning they started car and the service manager was present and heard the noise. The then started the other three 2015 GTI'S that were on the premises and had been standing for days.

I was told all three made the same noise.

They think it is caused by an actuator which is operating to push the fuel through when the engine has been standing for a while and is cold.

I have documentation that states

"Investiagate into noise when starting vehicle"

"Unable to fault vehicle when tested. Checked vehicle for any faults and none found. Tested all okay "

I would appreciate any comments, members care to make :)

8. Richard Mk2

Mine has never made this noise. And it will be two years old next March.

If if it's starting ok, I wouldn't worry too much, but it is an annoying noise to live with. My old Mk4 1.8T had exactly the same noise, but never once failed on the starting, and was like it for the 5 years I owned it.

If it gets noticeably louder, book it straight back in. Same if it's hard to start too :thumbup:

9. steveb Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Richard, much appreciated. :thumbup:

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  10. Toyotec

That report will be logged into the system, that will report things gone wrong that is feedback to product development. In this case 'NIL'.
    I suspect the design fault is treated, by the techs, as more hassle than it is worth, hence the outcome in this case.

11. fastfinn New Member

Hello all who have posted on this topic. Mine does this occasionally on startup. Is now in at vw for high pressure pump. Car has covered 40k and started to smell faintly of fuel about 2 weeks ago. Last few days had been very strong especially in traffic. Also has knocking noise from off. They haven't committed to this yet as they say car too dangerous to road test. Also media screen messes about when cold.

12. Richard Mk2

So it looks like the fuel pump issue is quite common then !

I wonder if any have caught on fire from this ?

The rest ear of the car has been great though I must say. Just wear and tear stuff. I did have an issue with one of the wheels being defective, but this was sorted out ASAP which was great.