MK1 1.8t conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by trevillp, Jan 26, 2005.

1. trevillp New Member

Anyone happen to know of a company who produce the engine mounts required for such a conversion?

Also, bizarre question here but I bought a 1.8T engine/gearbox from the usual website & want to know if its 5 or 6 speed?

Thoughts on a postcard...

Paul...

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

is it a 180 or 150 bhp model?

180's had a 6 speed,

designer dubs might do them?

tim

3. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

Maybe worth speaking to Jody @ dubvelopments (pm me 4 his number) he may throw some light on this.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

5. trevillp New Member

I have located the engine code & it appears to be an AGU, which according to the engine codes being put together on this forum makes it a 150bhp engine.

6. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

What year AGU is it?

7. trevillp New Member

I was informed it was from a 1999 MK4 golf.

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

That's ok then, just thing of the internal/external water pump change over in 2000. The later 1.8T's used an external water pump which means a bit of work needed on the O/S chassis leg to get it to fit. Which of course you wont have this problem and you will also have a cable throttle along with the large port cylinder head and of a 5 speed 'box with it being a '99 AGU. :)

You will need a 020 'box to make the installation a lot easier, as the Mk4 gearbox mount is complelety different.

I'm sure you can just use the Mk1 accessory mounts for the conversion [:$] (cant remember about the front stop buffer/mount), you could ask 'Vento Mike' on this forum or if you've got PVW from a few months ago, they did a 3month feature with Futrell Autowerks which went into a bit of detail on the conversion. I will try and dig these out.

9. trevillp New Member

If you can locate those then I would be most appreciative.

I managed to get the engine, gearbox, gear changing mechanism, turbo, wiring loom, fuse box etc from the faithful Ebay for 1k.

Im hoping to take me golf off the road to give the bodywork a fresh look...just waiting for the company van to come through.

Would you happen to know if an audi TT gearbox from a 225bhp vehicle would fit on to my 1.8T engine?

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I think any of the 6 speed gearboxes designed for a 1.8T will fit (Golf Mk4, Cupra's, TT's etc.) but again mountings are different for the 02J type gearboxes in 5 and 6 speed form. (Quite a bit of money to get a 6 speed in a Mk4 Golf anyway!)

I dont think as yet, anyone has put a 5 or 6 speed 02J 'box into a Mk1 for a 1.8T conversion as there is a lot of fabrication work involved, which is why most go for the 020 option. Someone on this forum runs a VWM 6 speed in their Mk2 mated to a 2.0 16v, cant remember his name though!

Depending on how far you want to tune the 1.8T, a 6 speed gearbox will weigh a Mk1 down too much if you were after more performance than economy.

11. trevillp New Member

mmmmmm food for thought. Think I will stick with the 5-speed for now!!!

12. ViCk Forum Member

I doubt anyone would use a 020 in a Mk1 1.8T, as it would'nt last very long especially if you want over 200 bhp etc. Most peops would use the 02A cable change from the Mk3 16v.

You can get the Mk1 02A mounts from Eurotek.

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Good point! I was reading off the Futrell Mk1 spec at the time which has a rebuilt wide-ratio 020 with Quaife diff. I was in a rush to go to work at the time [:$]

To reiterate and clarify, an 02A is the norm for such conversion, mainly found in Mk3 16v's as Vick stated above. I'm not sure on the actual code of the 'box(s) though.

14. H8SV8S Forum Member

A couple of show cars have the 020 with a 1.8t, but I'd imagine this is 'cos they don't intend on driving the car much!!

15. Valver Forum Member

Mk1 20vT mounts are supplied by a chap called Dave Luben who regularly advertises on PVW classifieds...
    HTH