Mk1 2.0 upgrade q's...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Tristan, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry if I ask stooopid questions , but I did trawl the search for a while first. Do Passat 2E engines fit into a Mk1 GTi , without any hassle , ie gearbox , engine mounts , ability to close the bonnet , dizzy drive etc... and does the Crossflow head from a MK3 Golf fit on? I'd like to put together a tasty 2.0 8V , in keepin' with the retro feel of the Mk1.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. Yes, 2 things you need, breather blanking plate & dizzy adaptor. Swap the mk3 dizzy gear to your old dizzy & fit.
    2. I think so, but a bit more work to get it going.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Any idea what " a bit more work" entails?

4. mexicorich Forum Member

And your standard exhaust manifold will probably hit the floor althogh some people on hear say they havn't had a problem. Despite using poly engine mounts front and back I also have aproblem with the throttle linkage hitting the top edge of the bulkhead - I didn't want to cut it as the car is quite nice.

Personally I wish I'd used a short block Audi engine

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

That is a very good question, me & a mate were looking into it and couldn't find out much!

6. Unknown Forum Junkie

A mate of mine had a tall block 2.0 with an ABA head; I think that was the code anyways, it was an x-flow from an American Mk3, so it might be the same. They ran it on digi management and it went like hell! I cant remember him having much dificulty with matching it all up, I think the original 8v exhaust manifold was used but it was a long time back now, my brain is near useless....

as for the exhaust manifold hitting the floor/bulkhead. I used a stock digi ex manifold on a tallblock with a stock Mk1 downpipe and it was fine with good clearance, fresh mounts though. I flexed thge bulkhead back to clear the throttle linkage but you'd not notice to look at it. I used digi stuff (wait for the groan from Mexicorich ;) ) and it might be lower so i never had a prob with bonnet clearance.

7. Admin Guest

8. Admin Guest

have still got the dizzy with the tsr adapter plate if you wanted it.