MK1 20VT ROAD TEST COMPLETE(megasquirt)

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by bens_cab, Oct 19, 2006.

1. bens_cab Forum Junkie

as the title says with the thanks of toyotec ;) we got the mk1 running pretty good last night and were able to give it some safe mapping

cold start still way off but once warm its smooth and pulls good still lots of mapping to do but im so chuffed that i was able to really push it to see how it responded :lol:

just a few noise issues to sort out ie noisy cv i think but apart from that the megasquirt seems to do its stuff real good

did have some overboostin issues to start with but that was soon sorted after swapping a pipe over still only running 3psi better than the 20psi we were getting to start with

should be able to get an mot now :) :) :) :) then a nice road trip to london to see toyotec for some final mapping

cheers dude

2. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Yeah dude sounds wicked , would love to see some pics of the install of the management and stuff.

3. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

wicked mate, i'm very intreeged by this megasquirt kit. I will have to look into it!

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

For the cost and fuctions it will be well worth the try!

5. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Nice one! Can't wait to see it at the shows.

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I could prob sell my dta and buy a few megasquirts!

7. Fenn Forum Member

anyone fancy righting a quick step by step guide so i can see what i'm getting my self it to if i MS my 20vt?

8. bertelli_1 Forum Member

I'm hoping to do the very conversion myself soon so will update my website with all the info. Maybe benscab could do a guide in the meantime??

9. Toyotec

How is your own doing. The 8v from your website

10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

ms

megasquirt rules theres no easy guide but there is loads of help out there the tuning manual ect ect is very long but worth a read

failing that asking questions on here always helped me now with the thanks of toyotec the cars got it mot tommorow so fingers crossed it will pass

still loads to do tho need some bits and pieces here and there

the thing that really please me is that im the only person out there running msns-extra on a mk1 20vt ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

i thought the yanks would have done it by now but they are still struggling just using it for fuel

I WIN BRITISH VICTORY:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

on a serious note i would like to thank all the people that gave me advice and even came and had a look

role on santa pod spring festival see what the old cab can do

11. Fenn Forum Member

nice work!

i'm not looking for the a complete guide, but knowing what hard wear im going to need for the 20vt would be good:)

12. Toyotec

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You are really one the first guys to have this in an running.

13. bens_cab Forum Junkie

At Last

well today was crunch day mot time

the mot tester was into the cab in a big way:lol: :lol:

it allmost failed on the c02 the mot tester looked at the engine and said so how to we get the emmisions down then :lol: :lol: my awnser to that was umm ill be going to get my laptop then :lol: :lol:

so once the laptop was plugged in i was able to lower the c0 by um lots:lol: and the guy passed it

so now i just need to sort my insurance then it will be a trip to see toyotec the megasquirt god for some cold start tuning and final road mapping

how pleased am i could have hugged the mot tester but he was looking a bit grubby didnt want to get my overalls dirty

still can t beleive ive managed to do this with minimal electronics skills im still not sure how its all wired up without melting anything[:$] [:$]

if i can help anyone do the same id be more than happy

14. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Its still going strong. I'm getting bored with idle valve setting, trying get that working properly. Also have a discrepancy with my wideband output - reading too rich on megatune, ok on logworks. Next jobs once I've moved house and had a baby (both imminent) is knock sensing, launch control, maybe try and blow my engine with nitrous and then the engine swap. Subject to funds it should be a fun 2007!

15. Matt G Forum Member

tell me more about this megasquirt stuff, what is it and how does it work?

16. Toyotec

I was planning on hooking this up on my application for cold starts but it does run very stable when on full warm-up as I utilised some old tricks in the spark maps to get idle stable. I am going to build another MSnS-e for my 2.0 8v 3A that runs with crappy digiwhatever when funds allow. Good luck on the move and the lil one on the way.

17. Toyotec

Megasquirt is an DIY EMS (engine management system) It was developed by Bruce Bowling and Al Grippo. To learn more about it you can go here and here. Martyn_16v has done a write-up of how he converted his 16v CIS system to this type of control system as well as scottymk2 who at the time was 16yrs!
    I have also built one of these systems and use it to control my Monza blue 2.0(ABF)16v turbo.
    This system can be used just like any of the other "pefered" ECUs many people install in their VWs and is not just limited to VWs alone.
    Hope this helps

18. Matt G Forum Member

aye it does ta.

19. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Thanks Toyotec, I'll let you know if I get the idle working.

20. DarrenE Forum Member

Hey Toyotec, hows things?