MK1 cab

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by jsingh, May 6, 2007.

1. jsingh Forum Member

hi everyone, i may be going to look at a mk1 cab tomorrow , what should i pay special attention to, its a 1987 d plater.
    thanks in advance

jaz

oh and btw if i do buy it, i will be the first 15 year old with a mk1 cab!:p

2. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Rust is the biggest problem on cabbys, check everywhere, floor, sills, arches, innerwings, the windscreen surround, ect also take the fuel filler cap off and check for rust at the top of the pipe.

Check the roof for rips ect, also around the rear screen surround, these rust away.

Don't rush into buying it, they can turn into money pits very easily.

Heres a couple of links for you to look at.

http://toplessrabbit.com/forums/index.php?sid=ec6be23832fa175929b8ea23bd4c5354

http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~kaw5/vwindex.htm

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

3. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Ive had a couple of Mk1 cabs- the biggest things to look out for are as brushdaft but he missed off the spare wheel well which is where they rust like a *******.

4. jsingh Forum Member

well we had a look, and it had rust in the sills and had a few holes in the spare wheel well. the carpet was a bit damp aswell so we decided to walk away.
    im basically looking for something that i can do up over the summer after my exams, and have ready by this time next year for my first daily hack. As we already own a MK3, my dad suggested i should have a look at the mk3 cab, or if not a mk1 gti.

what would u guys suggest as a good amateur project which will keep me entertained for a long summer

jaz

5. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

I'd go for something small engined and without any rot, you will learn a lot by tinkering with something like a 1.3 MK2 Golf or a Polo, plus the insurance wont kill you and it's a good solid car to have your first crash in (all part of the learning curve here on CGTI).

GTI's are quite complicated for a amature, it's easy to get bogged down with relays, broken wires, ect. My first car was a MK1 1.1, it taught me a lot.

There are a lot of factors though, your budget, if you want to get your hands dirty messing with the engine, it's up to you really, just make sure you choose something with a solid body because undoing bolts is a lot easier than welding in repair sections.

Heres a couple of pics to get your mind working, the MK3 was a 1.4 IIRC.

[​IMG]

And this Polo looks sweet.

[​IMG]