Mk1 cabby 16v - fuelling problem

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by grry, Sep 25, 2011.

1. grry Forum Member

I have a mk1 golf cabby that has a KR conversion and the problem I'm having is getting fuel to the injectors

The pump is priming and there is fuel to the metering head as I've cracked off the lines and fuel squirts out, also I have installed an in line filter near the metering head which is full with fuel too

It just doesn't seem to be making it's way past the metering head to the injectors, when removing the injectors the end of the bradded lines are wet with fuel but nothing is running through when cranking the engine over

I have changed the injectors with a running 16v and still have the same problem

Could the metering head be at fault??

Everything worked fine when the KR was in the mk2 before removing

Any ideas lads

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. DRV

DRV Forum Member

Ke-jetronic, or k-jetronic?

Have you tried lifting up metering plate?
    How many fuel pumps you use?

3. grry Forum Member

its K-jet mate, and has a lift pump and a fuel pump

Not tried lifting the plate as its a bit hard to get in to but will try, will this make any difference?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes it will, fuel wont come out the injectors unless you lifrt the flap! when you say you fitted an inline filter, was this a proper mk1 k-jet filter right? could be the fuel pump is tired, filter is blocked or the non-return valve in the end of the pump is shot

5. grry Forum Member

The inline filter isn't a mk1 k-jet filter it's just one of them transparent ones from a motor factor, I put it on incase there was any crap in the tank causing a blockage

The pump seems to be ok as the fuel squirts out with alot of pressure when the lines are cracks off from the metering head to injectors

I'll try lifting the flap an see what happens but shouldn't it lift when trying to crank the KR over?

6. rubjonny

right that may be the problem then as they arnt designed for the kind of flow/pressures k-jet needs. bin it asap! if you must use a filter like this put it before the pump, but even there it may cause problems

7. grry Forum Member

WooHoo to day we had the mk1 squirting like a little virgin on her first time

Changed the filter and give the flap a bit of a tickle and jobs a goodin, the flap was a bit sticky at first so think it needs a good clean up

Cheers for the advice [:D]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  8. DRV

DRV Forum Member

For cleaning fueling system elements I use carb cleaner. It may help you.

9. grry Forum Member

Well this problem has started again [:^(]

The metering head is clean and the flap pulses when trying to fire but wont pump any fuel unless I apply very light pressure to the underneath of the flap then it will start, fire and run, all I need to do is lift the flap from underneath say about 3 to 5mm and then it works fine but I cant drive about with a finger under the metering head:lol:

Is there any way of adjusting the flap so it will sits slightly higher or is there a way of fixing this

Thanks Garry

10. rubjonny

does the 5th injector fire, this should give you enough fuel to get it going. the flap should be adjusted so its flush with the narrowest point of the code where its closest to the fuel metering head. bodging the flap up higher is just working around another problem

11. grry Forum Member

Jonny you never stop amazing me mate :thumbup: you should wright a book on VW's :lol:

Any ways I changed the 5th injector from a spare KR engine and it started. I'm going to leave it over night then when I'm back at work to morrow working on the mk2 Ill give it a try again

Thanks [:D]

12. rubjonny

whoop fingers crossed [:D]