Mk1 Cabrio: bracket for hood strut

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by SapphireCabrio, Jul 28, 2021.

1. SapphireCabrio New Member

Hi,

After having my hood re-trimmed at the weekend, I was surprised to find the hood itself wouldn't retract more than halfway. Looking more closely, I saw that on the UK driver's side, the bracket to which the hydraulic ram/strut is connected is now bent out of shape. Hmmmm... curious. Seemed to be working just fine before - but things do 'go' on old cars....

I'll try to remove it and straighten things out - and hopefully, this will sort things out.

It's very odd, though: I'm eager to ensure that the cause of the problem gets sorted and doesn't happen again. Anyone here experienced this issue - or could perhaps suggest the cause?

Similarly, if the bracket proves unserviceable, I wondered if one of you kind folk might advise me what it is actually called (or its part number) - and suggest a potential source?

Thank you!

Roy
    1988 Sapphire Cabrio GTi. Now based in St Andrews
    golf mk1 cabrio hood strut bracket.jpg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

found the same on mine, assume stiff hinges from corrosion was route cause and brute force or maybe hood rams had gone was years ago now so cant remember wht conclusion I came to tbh :lol: seem to remember the replacement hinges moved much more freely than the originals though.

as for finding new stuff you have to scour classifieds, ebay and if you're very lucky stumble across a complete late spec cabrio with all the bits you need...