mk1 caddy 24v turbo 4wd project ,stress...56k warning

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by powernut, Oct 4, 2008.

1. powernut Forum Member

engines runing sweete as a nut , bad news you can here the dam gearbox , sounds likechatter ,and really horrible trying to set off ,grrr ,

2. seanr68 Forum Member

New g/box dude???
    got an 02a you can have if you can use it?

3. powernut Forum Member

is that a stock mk3 vr gearbox or something
    hi bud , been to gearbox place today they say its cearbox chatter , i said , carnt be , my other o2m gearbox that ive just removed due to ratio differnce didnt do this this , he said if it didnt its the first ive heard,, , i wasnt conveniced tbh , so dropped gear oil out , yet looks clean so ill run it for a few weeks see what happerns ,

ps guys thermostat querry i bought a 70degree thermostat thinking my engine would run cooler,but it still runs the same temp as the stock one i removed [:s] is this normal , as i evern poped onto the local queens highway to find the temp gauge stayed the same 85/90deg

4. seanr68 Forum Member

Its a mk3 2.0l 16v g/box. Didn't think it would fit, just thought you may be able to salvage internals if they're similar inside???[:s]
    I dunt have a clue wether its any use or not to you though, but i dont need it. lol:lol:

5. powernut Forum Member

right lol , many thanks for your help ,,sean , but not of any use ;)

6. powernut Forum Member

ill make a alloy radiator , might help , as room is a bit of a problem in a mk1 golf tbh

7. ryanp Forum Member

the chatter will be the SMFlywheel dude, all 02M's had a DMF and chatter like fook without it, does it sound OK with the clutch depressed?

8. Erny Forum Member

Powernut are you the bloke from mexborough I keep hearing about?

9. Toffs Forum Member

Bump, what ya upto now ? :)

10. powernut Forum Member

seen as u ask toffs;)

the engines runing verywell no silly probs , but im not risking lifting the boost on these 83.1 pistons , but i wont more boost , (gets boring after a while lolol)
    so ive been keeping a keen eye on upgrades and didnt take long at all look at these babys i dropped on utter bargin there are..
    s.p stage 2 high beam con rods with bigger arp 2000/7/16 bolts [:D] price 120 ,,,couldnt say no,,,
    next bargin wasnt far away complete set of wossnerr pistons 200 ,off ebay [:D]
    pics here
    well they have arrived look ok ,soon see what happerns after a spot of run in ,,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so i think its time for some serious boost what u guys think,,,,:thumbs_up

11. bantan45 Forum Member

ok so nomore piston bodge jobs,lol

12. powernut Forum Member

no tempory refits :lol:

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This next one's being welded in for good!!

14. powernut Forum Member

i was happy yesterday , fedup today

found the rods wont fit down the bores:(dam things, )this is because these are stage2 rods(which i didnt know there was any differnce) meaning,
    vr6 12v are stage1 81mm bore
    r32 24v are stage2 84mm bore
    its too risky rehoneing a 12vr6 because the block walls will be thin/may crack if i try boosting high,
    carnt have 4mm removed(2mm either side)because these are fitted with arp 2000-06 bolts and with make them unsafe and out of balance,:(

only options ive got at mo are , fit pistons,stock rods arp bolts supose to hold 400-500hp?
    save rods till i drop on a r32 as i sold my other block grrr

15. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

^^I have stumbled across this problem as well.. The rods were sourced from TSR and had to go back as they didn't fit down the bores.. Irritating to say the least..

16. powernut Forum Member

yearh but was rather hard but got them in :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. powernut Forum Member

shot of the block completed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just not happy with arp bolt torque settings , contacted arp they said arp 2000-06 bolts are 40lb with arp greese/molly greese , might as well have used my fingers lol , sure they not going to hold at that poundage as soon as i get some boost on go they going to stretch and spin the conrod bearings

18. m1keh Forum Member

Have a think about which way the combustion pressure puts it's force into the crank, it goes through the main bearing not stretching the rod bolts. Rod bolts are going to fail at high engine speeds not from running more pressure. Lubed fitting creates a higher clamping force from a lower torque setting also. ARP are experts at this and if you look at their page here http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechTorque.html most of the rod bolts don't get much more torque than 50 ft/lbs

19. powernut Forum Member

i a tempted to re torque to 50ft/lbs id be a bit more happy tbh ,
    another thing ive not sure on , as i runing a solid billet 14lb flywheel and a stock crank pulley /not the solid type, slightly later style with holes in the centre , as i was tepterd to use the earlyer sold type,incase this one isnt up to scratch[:s]

20. m1keh Forum Member

What does the pulley drive? I'm not that up on variations of vr6's.