MK1 exhaust manifold straight swap?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by SpecialBrew, Apr 23, 2020.

1. SpecialBrew New Member

Hi guys, looking at exhaust options and found a 4-2-1 manifold from a 1.8 8v MK1 GTI (engine code not specified), I own one of the earlier ('86) K-jet MK2 GTIs with the EV block. Would the manifold be easy enough to fit without much (if any) modification? Never had the chance to look under a MK1 but I assume they're near enough the same, both having crossflow heads and no PAS. Cheers!

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They're a fair bit different tbh. Head end is the same, but that's about it.

Non crossflow you meant?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah the downpipe doent come down in the same place so it would hit the bulkhead, not worth the effort vs use a standard mk2 8v 4-2-1 setup which flows great as is

4. SpecialBrew New Member

I did mean non crossflow yeah sorry, forever getting the terminology the wrong way round with that! That's a shame though, I'll stick with the standard mani for now then, appreciate the responses

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The later, digi, manifolds with the double piped midsection, might be an improvement.

Though tbh, you'd want a well tuned engine to notice the difference.