MK1 golf brake upgrade.

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by gary_k, Jul 29, 2004.

1. gary_k Forum Member

I am putting a 16v lump in a MK1 Golf GTi 83'Y'reg eventually to be used as a track day & 1/4 mile strip car.
    I want to upgrade the brakes to 280mm G60 spec and use a MK2 16v master cylinder.
    The problem is, as some of you may know that the front main suspension upright behind the hub has a fixed caliper carrier, not a separate caliper and slider as on newer cars that are un-boltable. To upgrade the brakes you would need to change this whole arm/hub assembly.
    Does anyone know what fits off another V.A.G. car, and what kits places like TSR do and how they get arround this problem.
    Thanks for your help. (in advance):thumbup:

2. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

MK1 GTI's caliper carriers are secured to the MK1 hub by two bolts, similar to late spec MK2 16v's and G60's.

If you don't want to replace the MK1 GTI hubs, places like TSR sell MK1 upgrades to 270mm and 285mm by using a extension bracket between the hub and caliper carrier.
    (which is why the price is much cheaper than their price for G60 brakes!)

HTH

Lhasa2008
    MK1 with Autocavan 270mm conversion.
    MK2 with late spec 16v hubs and G60 carriers (280mm)

3. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

The only other thing to think about with the TSR option is that the disks are odd sizes (270 and 285mm) which means you will have to buy all your new disks from them regardless of the price! [:s]

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

....am I right in thinking thats it's:

Mk1 > 280
    Original 239 calipers, spacer bracket for calipers, G60 discs?

Does anyone know if the 280mm kit Dubweiser offer is for a Mk1 or Mk2? Link
    If the former then jobs a gooden' :thumbup:. If the latter, wouldn't the Audi carriers help in some way for fitment onto Mk1 hubs? [:s]

5. Bharat Forum Member

I have just done the upgrade to 256mm discs using Audi 80/90 calipers and carriers, as Mk2 16v carriers were not a straight bolt on jobbie as expected.

Bought 2nd hand calipers and carriers and 9" Mk2 16v brake servo from breakers. Exchanged calipers for new/reconditioned ones from GSF.

Brand new Mk2 16v fluid container from VAG.

Brand new 22mm Mk2 16v master cylinder, new standard hoses, Brembo vented discs (non-drilled) and Pagid pads - all from GSF. Using ATE Super Blue racing brake fluid.

Just waiting to put on bigger wheels (as 13" ones won't fit anymore) and then I'll check out the difference.

6. Ali baba Forum Member

Hi Bharat,

Were the discs and pads you bought designated for the Golf 16v or the Audi since you're using audi brakes now ?
    Or are they the same kit ? No sanding down of pads needed to make 'em fit ?
    ta

Ali

7. Nelson Forum Member

Audis are 5 stud i think, so it'd be 16V discs for 4 stud fitting.

8. Bharat Forum Member

When I bought the discs and pads from GSF, I specified Mk2 16v, but I believe you could use ones from an Audi 80/90 (1982-1987), as they are similar. There is a thread in here with info (do a search in this section only, and you should see it).

The caliper carriers I used are from an Audi, but the calipers themselves are Mk2 16v.

Didn't see the need to sand down the pads - seemed to fit it fine.

Still waiting for bigger wheels to be delivered, so I can get the car back on the road and test it properly.

9. gary_k Forum Member

Oh right, I've never really had a good look, just went on what someone told me and belived them without checking.
    So what would i need to buy to go for 280mm G60 spec.
    :thumbup:
    Edited by: gary_k

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Off topic - Just to clarify a few points for people [:$]

All the Audi's equipped with 256 brakes use a 4/108 stud pattern, so as Bharat says, just specify Mk2 16v discs as these will be 4/100 which is what you need.

You can also use the Audi caliper that is attatched to the carriers as well as Mk2 16v calipers, as they are virtually the same.

11. Nelson Forum Member

Aha, knew it was something like that!

12. gary_k Forum Member

So i need 280mm x 22mm G60 discs. G60 calipers or any carrier off VAG car that uses 280mm front brakes, and MK2 golf 16v or corrado calipers. Would that work?

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

14. domma Forum Member

As far as i can make out, these kits for getting 270/280mm onto the Mk1 don't use G60 Calipers!

They just space out the original mk1 caliper using the brakets.

I have a set of G60 calipers and they are _loody massive!
    I cant see how i'm going to get these to mate up with the correct offset, angle and radius positions to a work on my mk1.

Any body running original G60 calipers on a mk1?

Let me know how you have done it yeah

Domma.......

15. Ali baba Forum Member

Kushti, just got the 16v disks and pads - they fit fine - so now to try and push back the pistons in these audi calipers ..

Thx mate

16. gary_k Forum Member

A bloke who works at my local GSF said G60 Calipers and carriers should fit if you can get hold of some, if not use 88> passat ones. Does anyone know which passat model used 280mm discs?
    I got a price for cross drilled Zimmermann G60 discs and Pagid fast road pads,- 110 all in. :)

17. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

VR6 Passats used 280 discs.

I cant see the G60 carriers working as they have the Mk2 bolt spacing on the carriers dont they? (As in, they wont fit Mk1 hubs)
    The calipers however, are the same as what you use for the Mk1 > 256 conversion.

18. domma Forum Member

Mk1 Driver,

Your wright, they do have the MK2 spacing. But i'm trying to position them up in place to see if you can get an adapter bracket from the MK1 holes to the MK2 holes.

when they do this with the original mk1 caliper & carrier you have a bit of room to work with but in the G60 case there aint alot of room. Any spacer may take it out beyond the 280 mark.

I did see a photo where the caliper sits at an angle around the disc rather than 90 deg infront. This might be an option for some room on the lower bolt.

All a bit tricky when you have'nt a 280 disc or pads.

might just sell these G60 calipers on and be done with it. Havent found anybody who's done it yet!

Domma...............

19. gary_k Forum Member

I might have them off you and have a go.
    Let me know if you are interested and we will sort something out. ;)