Mk1 Golf GTD - Europe only?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by A.N. Other, Feb 4, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I don't recall seeing any of these!

[​IMG]

2. strimmer Forum Member

3. vwaudi Forum Member

I have seen one of these in Ibiza in 1999 so they do exist, and I believe that there is a valid VW part number for the grill badge as I knew someone who wanted it for his Mk1 G60 Turbo. Anyway back to Ibiza I must stress that the Mk1 was only a mild interest as my main concern at the time was pulling ladies and having fun. On this trip if I recall correctly was where we were dancing next to Pete Tong in Amnesia on the dance floor at 7 am in the morning.

4. Admin Guest

the turbo whangs the power up?

who wrote that?

5. danster Forum Addict

[YOUTUBE]qjOZtWZ56lc[/YOUTUBE]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

CCC, April 1982 :thumbup:

7. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I thought it was only the mk2s, although I have seen a couple of mk1 GTD for sale on eBay over the past few months(one had engine from the mk2 & the other I can't remember). The one with the mk2 engine had a Garret t3 turbo? Not sure if these are any good but I wouldn't mind a turbo powered mk1, even if it is a diesel! :thumbup: I nearly won it too *sighs*

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I could of bought Mk1 GTD badges for mine but opted for the golf D

so would of guessed yes to the mk1 GTD

9. James W

James W Motorsport Moderator

From MK1OC site
    found a pic too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  10. vwaudi Forum Member

Bit unrelated but I once has a chat to an engineer who worked on the original the Lucas injector pump for the first Mk1 diesels. The story went, as Lucas was deemed the market leader for diesel injector pumps they were commissioned to develop an injector pump for the diesel engine for the Mk1 Golf. A standard pump was developed and it passed into production after passing the requirements for performance and reliability. However after the car went on sale the shaft which controls the acceleration started to fail on a lot of cars. It turns out the failure was due to an engine operating frequency which was spot on to excite the shaft, which then caused it to break.

When they dug a bit deeper, it turned that the reliability testing was done in the UK with paid test drivers who drove round at 70 mph max. It was only when the general public got hold of it and they drove it at 70+ which resulted in the engine been continuously revved harder within an associative frequency which would break the shaft. The problem was fixed by adding a rivet to the shaft to increase the mass which would change the natural frequency of the shaft outside of the frequency range generated by the engine. I suspect due to the damage was done to Lucas, and the orderly transition to a German Bosch injector pumps was made.

After writing this I realise it’s actually quite a dull story, but may be interesting to someone out there.........

11. danster Forum Addict

Pfft!! GTD Golf mk1, what about the Rocco GTD? ;)

[​IMG]

12. DubNinja90 New Member

I want that badge!

Diesels = SLOWWWW

Turbo Diesels = Still slow, but you don't have to downshift for that hill!

The Turbo Diesel center piece for the 4-button. Where do I get one of them? That would make an excellent gift for my old man, and his Mk 2 TD Jetta coupe. Just need to get to let go of his 'rocco tri-spoke, haha.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011