MK1 golf GTi R32 coversion with Digifiz - dash coolant temp issues

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Ryan Bingham, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Hi All,
    I have a MK1 golf converted with a Mk5 R32 engine. I'm also using a Digifiz 8000 set of clocks - while everything else on the dash works fine....I'm having trouble getting the temp clock to work as it should.

On the engine coolant thermo housing, I'm using a MK2 2 pin temp sender and have the plug wired into the CE2 loom (yel/red, D29) and earth...but the clocks have no response to coolant temperature at all. If I short across the 2 pins on the loom the whole gauge immediately blinks at highest temperature.....which I believe, from reading other Digifiz threads, means coolant level low indication??? The sender is brand new and measured resistance responds to coolant temperature.

My loom doesn't have the original coolant low level wiring, so no relay 43 from D29 ......is this the issue? I thought removing it (as I don't need) I would just get coolant temperature????......but seems all I get is a coolant low?? Does the Digifiz dash need the relay 43 and wiring to work as should??

I'm confused, any guidance much appreciated

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I am sure you are well aware of the guy on Facebook Noel Orgaz who has a business called Digifiz Shop? If not may be worth getting in touch?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

so if sensor is unplugged, no temp on dash, but if you short it you get the flashing warning? if so, that suggests the sensor you have is bad

4. Leetveen New Member

in short, yes, digifiz works w/o 43 relay, just lead SK8 pin to the ground and SK2 to coolant sensor.

blinking coolant temp scale means 4 different states: 1. malfunction in L504 (one of main digifiz chips), 2.wrong wiring coolant sensor/low coolant state signal, 3. coolant temp above middle scale >100deg, 4.Low coolant level if properly wired with 43 relay and proper coolant tank installed (with low coolant lever sensor) with 100% working level sensor

5. Adamss24 Forum Member

Guys, I will hijack the thread, who can make a mk2 ce2 wiring loom to work with a tdi 1.9 VE engine and digifiz cluster ? I have the whole digifiz kit and currently running mk3 silver dash pod…the engine is running a chopped MSA15 Ecu but thinking of swapping to a edc15 Ecu in near future…thanks !

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pretty sure earthing SK8 will trigger level warning on the digifiz, the 42/43 relay pulses the coolant temp pin to earth to trigger warning light on the normal clusters?

Adams, do you have any digifiz loom at all? if not thats the first hurdle to get across. Grab a couple MK2 and/or scirocco dash loom and you'll have plenty cluster pins. Main thing is getting the clustewr plugs and the one for the digital clock adjuster

7. Adamss24 Forum Member

Hi RJ, i have the plugs but no loom…
    835BCAAD-7BE4-4082-BB08-450E04CF8315.png B2108AC4-D36A-4796-8589-ADF499E8EF7C.png 2B721075-E754-4E47-8E36-CCF77B216945.png 2660E5E3-0621-4A41-B03F-7514FE108B57.png 64A912DA-C900-4348-8128-DD27AE98FF2B.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2022