Mk1 golf rear wiper motor

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Markdavid, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Markdavid New Member

Hi. I am replacing parts on my mk1 golf gti. The rear wiper motor is not turning. I have checked for voltage and that’s ok. Is it possible to refurbish motor as I can’t find any new ones on line.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

on my mk2 when I bought it there was a strange wiper motor I didnt recognise. It turned out to be a MK1 motor, attached to a MK2 mounting bracket. So I guess you can go the other way, IIRC the plug on it was different so you'll need to get that off a donor and tap to your loom.

3. rubjonny

MK1 motor 171955713B:
    171955713B.jpg 171955713B-1.jpg

MK2 motor 701955713C:
    701955713C.jpg 701955713C-1.jpg

So you'll have to swap the old crank arm over as well, but apart from that as well as wiring straight swap. If you dont want to mess with mk1 wiring, cut the wires off the old plug and splice them to the wire tail off the donor car :)

note the MK1 has an earth tab on the body of the motor, the MK2 has the earth to the 3 pin plug instead so you'll have to crimp a male spade on the mk2 brown wire then pop it to the female brown spade on the MK1 loom

4. rubjonny

alternatively can pop the MK1 part number to ebay theres a fair few on there. Dont forget to strip, clean and grease the wiper arm spindle while its all in bits :thumbup:

5. Markdavid New Member

Thankyou for your quick response. I think I might try a mk2 motor. I have used one on the front. Purchased a mk1 rear wiper motor on eBay. Went to fit it on Monday can’t get it to work