MK1 Golf Specifications?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Mark16v, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Mark16v Forum Member

I've been considering buying a mk1 Golf for the past few days as a winterporject. Not interested in a GTi as I couldn't afford the insurance (2nd car) and want something that hasn't been thrashed to oblivion. Seen a 1.1 'C', I'm presuming this is one of the base models? Does anyone know the different variations and the options they entail? Any links would be useful

2. Admin Guest

erm not sure...

i have the 1.1C and the GTI [:D]

other than the engine difference and brake set up being a bit better with the GTI there isn't much difference in trim inside,

the GTI has the specific striped seats, no centre console in the 1.1 that houses the VDO's.
    same switch gear in the dash, no rev counter though or MFA and no trip meter.

GTI has a deep pile carpet where as the 1.1 is a lot more basic and not so "shag pile"

GTI has the deep spoiler on the front, 1.1 has a mini one.
    1.1 doesn't have the arch kit like the GTI just little spats on the rears.
    no sunroof in the 1.1c but then my GTI is a campaign.

bog standard door cards in the 1.1, the GTI has door pockets.

probably more as i think about it..... [:$] [:s]

oh and better suspension i'm sure to cope with the heavier engine, anti roll bars i think were added too...

steering wheel, the 1.1 had some awful two bar wolfsburg thing that kills your hands and drives like a bus, the GTI has the nicer four button horn item-campaign is leather bond, nice on the hands [:$] :lol:

no intermintent wipe feature on the 1.1 [:x]
    Edited by: Jon P

3. Mark16v Forum Member

So in short there's a hell of a difference then :lol:
    All those sound like they could easily be added to the C variant though, guessing everything is interchangeable like the mk2?

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

The shells are identical with the exception of the offside engine mount bracket. The suspension is only different rates of spring and damper with ARBs on some (ARB equipped front wishbones have 2 extra holes), these can always be retro fitted. Brakes have different front calipers and hangers but the hubs are the same. Gearlinkage and steering rack are different (well the rack is actually the same but the linkage goes through a welded bracket on the big engined ones) All the rest can be swapped in minutes as you say.

5. Mark16v Forum Member

So technically it wouldn't take much to upgrade the C to a GTi level then. The one I'm looking at is already fitted with a spax suspension kit so this would help with the handling a great deal I'd imagine. Brakes can be upgraded to the 256mm setup off a mk2 16v from what I've read, at least I think thats what I read.
    Presuming the gear linkage affects the feel of gear changes or is it just for the different gearbox?

Basically what I'm thinking is get a descent mk1 shell, uprating as much stuff as I can and then when funds allow, drop in a bigger engine such as the 2l 16v or the 1.8T. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me, what do you guys think?

6. Dub Dave Forum Member

My Mk2 GTI didnt have intermittant wiper! :lol: [:x]

7. Admin Guest

have a butchers as this, written by Unknown!

:clap:

nice and helpful,

basically if you are using a C model, you will need everything from the GTI. mechanically anyway

8. Mark16v Forum Member

Excellent link that, cheers Jon :)

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

[​IMG]

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Intermittent wiper is a simple upgrade:

remove plastic block stopping wiper arm moving downwards to the intermittent position & fit the correct relay in the fuse box, in place of the link that sits across the face of the fusebox.

Job done :)

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh, the GTI runs a brake slave cyl on the rear axle - this is not fitted to some/all small engined models.

Fuel pipes are also a different diameter and are different where the GTI braid hoses fit on.

Petrol tank also needs changing to get one with GTI swirl pot. Either that or use a Scirocco lift pump (although I've never done the latter). Fuel pump & accumulator also needs grabbing off a GTI.

GTI ran a roll bar on the rear axle - small engined Golfs don't have one (in addition to front bar alread mentioned).

12. Admin Guest

ah thank you, sounds easy enough to do,

i think if you are going to use the 1.1C shell for a GTI you basically need everything the GTI has, if you have a donor GTI to use??? simplest way, side by side comparison. unbolt it all and install it.

the beige mk1 in my sig was a 1.1c now a GTI, not mine but can answer questions on it as besti can.

13. Mark16v Forum Member

Think thats gonna be the best way, will swap the interiors etc over first as I'm not too fussed about uprating the ARBs etc yet.
    The most technical thing I've done is replacing a heater matrix in a mk2 so I'm not sure I'm quite up to standard of removing wishbones... Plus I lack every useful tool required [:$]

14. Admin Guest

looking at the GTi this morning, [:$]

it has the stripes down the sides on the lower part of the car and the A pillar trims.