Mk1 Golf track wheel advice

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by left hooker, Dec 19, 2014.

1. left hooker New Member

Hi Guys...

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding Mk1 Golf wheel fitment,as i am looking for something fairly light suitable for the odd track day that will not rub on the arches (standard arches,without arch trims)series 2-Mk1.

I've seen a few come up recently,spec as follows.....15x7 et35 will they fit with a 195x50 tyre fitted?

Or what are you running on your Mk1 one track wheels?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
    Andy

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

7*15 with 195/50's? Mint. Bring it on. Yoko's are cheap, get out there and burn them up
    Get the front tracking bang on, otherwise it'll understeer like a 'shopping trolley' (t**t)
    Enjoy
    Jon

3. Hilux Forum Member

Wot he says

Depends if its for fun or you want to be more serious

We run on a budget and for fun and have done 6 ish track days on the current set of Yoko T1R`s - not the grippiest in the wet [:s] but not bad at all when dry - getting better as they wear but sensitive to tyre pressure - we run cold at 26 (29 when hot) seems to work on our Mk1.

15mm rear hub spacers transformed the rear handling also.

4. shockerboy Forum Member

Hi there OZ do a cheapish 15 inch wheel that weighs in at 5 odd kilos , compared to most cheaper 15 inch wheels at 7 to 8 kilos .the ultraleggra wheel is brilliant at 4.5 kilos BUT 5 times the cost , so not popular unless money is not an issue . it is vital to keep unsprung mass to a limit and this helps handling and because the wheel mass is spinning its also beneficial to keep this weight to a minimum as the car needs to accelerate and stop this mass . We raced on the Dunlop semi slick special stage road rally tyres they are well priced great in wet as well . Can be cycled several times and they are consistent performance, although the initial 4 to 5 laps brand new tend to be .5 to .7 of a second quicker .

5. shockerboy Forum Member

apologies its a Lenso wheel, 5 twin spoke , its strong as well we have several sets and never bent one the ultraleggra is OZ I think

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

set light 7*15 ROTA's coming up for sale soon. check the 'for sale' section tomorrow
    Jon

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Dunlop CR311's cheap? Not in my book. Good yes. These come in compounds from X22 to X02, so understand what you are buying, if you go that route
    Jon

8. shockerboy Forum Member

Hi there , Jon Olds have you back to back tested the Yoki against the Dunlops ?? interested to hear if you have , we have and I would like to compare notes
    also you mentioned the tracking , what do you find works ?? and why ?? . what camber settings do you recommend for track days and do you check the bump steer issues as well as castor ?? sorry for all the questions I have raced VW cars for 25 years in S Africa and just moved to UK looking to start a business here doing what I did in SA race and road sport suspension /