Mk1 GTI 8v K-Jet idle problem

Discussion in '8-valve' started by A.N. Other, Apr 26, 2006.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've got a K-Jet 1800 Mk1 with a 1600 metering head which starts fine, but when it warms up, it won't idle and stalls. It can be kept running on the accelerator no problem though.

Just looking for a few pointers for where to look, since I have no knowledge of which buttons to press on K-Jet...

Cheers :)

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Presume you've checked for vacumn leaks Chris?

Should be a brass coloured 'air bleed' screw on the throttle body, take it out and clean it, might be gummed up, when you re-fit it, anti-clock wise will increase rpm, clock wise decreases. Could be as simple as that, or the throttle body itself may need a spring clean, where the butterflie(s) seat may be gummed up with oil deposits, remove clean in carb cleaner or thinners/gun wash will do the trick there.

Make sure the main air pipe and rubber boots from metering head to TB is intact too.

Sorry if this is far too obvious :lol: [:$]

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nope, far from obvious to me. My learning curve cheated its way round K-Jet and went straight to DTA, so I'll give this lot a check this weekend :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You were lucky then !

If you can find a long 3mm t handled allen key you can have a fiddle with the mixture in the small hole in the metering head top.

Anti clock to weaken and vice versa - only use small increments, very sensitive

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

hehe! Yea, vacuum leaks are a fave normally. Check ALL connections leading up into the throttle body. Also, your CO settings will probably need a tweek as per GVK's message.