mk1 gti brake bias pedal box

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by big jonesy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. big jonesy Forum Member

evening people i am considering fitting a brake bias pedal box and getting rid of the master cylinder and brake linkage ,cars a 83 tin top golf gti just wondered how people have fitted them and what happens to the vac pipe for the servo , be intrested to see how people have fitted theres and how they get on with it thanks people jonesy

2. brendonflynn New Member

im in the same boat mate, i just bought this:
    [​IMG]
    it said on the advert (for RHD mk1 golf) but they are all the same, adapt to fit :/. havent fitting it yet tho, to busy with the bay.

and you scrap the master cylinder and sevo, tidy bay!. and i found this, how someone has mounted it:
    [​IMG]

3. big jonesy Forum Member

Is that one from rally design ?

4. mickey marrows Forum Member

Thats not quite fair.. the one in the top picture is a Rally Design job designed to replace the servo by mounting in the engine bay exactly where the servo normally fits.

The one in the bottom picture is a pukka mk1 golf bias pedal box made by HRP, who actually sponsor this forum...

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is it for a road or track car? I know people who have used a master cylinder directly mounted on the bulkhead, and have two cars which have this arrangement from the factory. You might need to experiment with different sizes to get the correct pedal feel, and enough capacity to work your brakes properly. I've heard of people using a Polo M/C, and there are older Porsche ones that could work too, as they didn't have brake servos from the factory. They'll probably cost as much as a fancy pedal box though ;)

6. mickey marrows Forum Member

I used to use a air cooled beetle MC in my Scirocco until I switched to a HRP bias box.. it worked and was pretty much a direct fit.. (you can assume the VW engineers just used existing parts when first designing the mk1)

7. Hilux Forum Member

I am going down this route and prefer the simplicity of this one as it fits in place of the servo.

[​IMG]

8. big jonesy Forum Member

that looks spot on quite a good price aswell

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Makes sense... early 911s are just Beetle GTIs anyway ;)

10. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Has anyone fitted to a HRP pedal box to a mk1 golf that can report back on how it feels? Who can help me decide what size cylinders and fittings ill need?. My mk1 is getting corrado G60 280mm front calipers fitted along with rear calipers taken off the same car. Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

11. GT racer New Member

I now know HRP sells a mk1 pedal box but how do I get hold of HRP - I need an email address or contact person on the forum? And then of course confirmation that it fits with n hassle as it is a bit rough for me to return it all though do able from SA

Cheers
    Gert

12. Admin Guest

call them on 01428 658 865

13. GT racer New Member

Hi Jon P

I did get hold off HRP via email thanks, my pedal box will be shipped to South Africa this week.

Gert

14. Admin Guest

No problem,best of luck with it