Mk1 GTi engine swap.........

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Dubplate, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Dubplate Forum Member

Right, i did ask this question on the old forum but need some additional information now. My mate has just brought himself a donor VW Jetta 16v for an engine conversion on his mk1 Golf GTi from what we have seen is that the air filter and fuel pipes will have to be re-routed because they are on the other side of the engine bay but the main question is that of the engine mounts, sorry to the people who did reply on the old thread about this but are they the same, mk1 1.8 GTi and mk2 Jetta 16v if not is there gonna be alot of grief adapting it ? also can you fit the rear discs off the jetta on to the mk1 Golf GTi ?

Also Jetta parts (body panels, ralle head lamps, big bumpers etc...) will be avaliable soon if anyones interested will keep people informed...........

Cheers

Rob Lowe

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Just bolt your MK1 mounts to the MK2 16v block and g-box.

3. Dubplate Forum Member

Cool that simple, cheers harry.............. do you no about the rear disc conversion ?

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

You can do it fine with all the standard bits but the airbox ends up on the opposite side like on a Mk2. If you can find one, then a LHD 'Rocco 16v manifold it was you need from what I recall.

Also, the exhaust can be a pain, someone on edition 38 forum is selling a 4 branch manifold and exhaust set up for this though, maybe have a look? :)

As for the rear discs, from memory I think you need 'Rocco 16v handbrake cables but the other bits fit okay. Could be wrong though? You are better off uprating the front brakes & servo really though as this will improve the brakes more than rear discs. [:D]
    Edited by: StuB

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

A few comapanies do an exhaust manifold especially for this conversion. I don't know how much a scirocco 16v manifold who be from VAG if they still sell one.

As for the rear discs, it all bolts on fine. You need longer handbrake cables, again from a scirocco 16v. You can still get these. On my MK1 with discs, I just modded the original mounting point at the handbrake end, but that was more involved.

BTW, you don't actually have to fit rear discs on a MK1, as it can be a bit too much breaking at the back in my opinion (which I found out after fitting them). Well adjusted drums are well up to the job on these light cars.

6. GTI

GTI Forum Member

7. Dubplate Forum Member

wicked cheers guys i shall pass the info on to him.... :)

8. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Good article that. :thumbup:

9. GTI

GTI Forum Member

Its great isn't it. I was thinking of plagiarising it for an FAQ.

10. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I would. Just retype the text (or use some OCR software) and then grab the pics.

Just put that it was originally from VW motoring magazine at the bottom.