MK1 Gti won't start when engine is warmed up??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by AmaZak, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AmaZak Forum Member

Hi guy's,

Need some help with this issue, this is a 2.0 8V Gti mk1 car starts perfectly fine when cold but after the engine warms up she won't start at all. Sometimes it starts when hot only if the car is started within like 2/3 mins after switching it off but if you wait longer then it won't start again until it has had a chance to cool down anywhere from 45 mins upwards. Any ideas what to look for? It has the K-jet injection system.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be the non-return valve in the pump or the accumulator, these maintain system pressure after engien shut down. if this is lost the fuel can evaporate in the lines and cause hot/warm start problems

3. AmaZak Forum Member

Thanks for the response bro, I am a newbie to mk1 so I have a few more questions. The non return valve is that a component that can be replaced on it's own or do I have to replace the entire pump, also is the accumulator an entity of the pump as well? if so is it possible to replaced on it's own without changing the pump? or would it be advisable to just replace the pump as well? Thanks dude.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the non return valve is in the end of the pump and can be unscrewed, if you look at the pump the threaded fitting on the end where the fuel output line attaches is the non-return valve. the accumulator is after the fuel pump nbear the rear axle, follow the line from the pump and you'll find it. nr valve is cheap, accumulator is gonna cost over 100 new so do the cheap stuff first ;)

5. AmaZak Forum Member

Much appreciated, I will update when/if I resolve this issue. [:^(]

6. eddylau Paid Member Paid Member

Hi hi this is an old thread but have you solve the problem? I have a similar problem. Cheers

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hi bud I had the same problem with my mk1 about 20 years back the route cause was rust from the filler neck damaging the non return valve on the pump
    you would be best to get some one to do a decay test on the system it should hold pressure for a good few hours
    the non return valve is fairly cheap to buy by itself so I would start there before looking at the accumulator
    also check the system for any leeks as this would also cause the same problem

I'd also pull the level sender out and have a look for any crud inside the tank and clean it out or it will just happen again

8. AmaZak Forum Member

Hiya, no and the car is long gone. It was quite possibly a wiring issue on mine as If I connected up some jumper leads hooked up to my other car whislt the problem was evident the car started so I guessed probably a bad earth connection in general or fuel pump or possibly a bad starter motor....