mk1 hiding servo

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by rpatten, Mar 21, 2010.

1. rpatten Forum Member

I want to tidy up my mk1 engine bay, so I either want to move the servo (hide it) or get rid of the bulky push rod system thats there. I definately want to keep the servo though.
    Could I possibly remove the push rod system and mount the servo to the bulk head like the LHD models and put a hydraulic master cylinder at the peddle and an actuator on the passenger side of the car to push the servo? Abit like an hydraulic clutch?
    Any ideas or thoughts would be appriecated.

2. Admin Guest

for that amount of work you could run a pedal bias box?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Or revert to Golf Mk1 non-servo factory spec, where the master cylinder is through the bulkhead in front of the pedals. That eliminates all the servo clobber.

4. Admin Guest

but gives a very wooden feel and travel on the pedal.

This has to be a well thought out mod with function over form.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The same as a bias pedal box though!

6. Admin Guest

indeed:lol:

comes down to time/money/what you want it to look like at the end.

7. rpatten Forum Member

Like I said I want to keep the servo so the brakes are good and the cars useable, surely thats the reason that all modern cars have them instead of just the master cylinder?

So are we not liking the idea of a master cylinder and slave instead of that awful push rod system? It's got to be cheaper than an aftermarket remote unit and basically do the same thing and if I wanted i could hide it under the dash on the passenger side of the car with a custom bracket or two?
    Also I've read that you'd need two remote units, one for the rear brakes and one for the fronts???? Sound bodjy, exspensive and troublesome.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Correct!

How badly do you want rid of the servo? !!

9. Admin Guest

I'm going back to the linkage system :lol:

its a system that works very well with the right mods, 22mm MC etc

10. Hilux Forum Member

I have the original linkage a larger servo and m/c bigger discs on the front VX calipers and mk2 discs on the rear and with an in line bias valve to the rears it brakes superbly well.

11. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Could always fit a Audi 100 system with an accumulator instead of a servo.
    You could hide the accumulator in the boot if you liked. You need to fit a power steering pump to drive the accumulator. Big advantage is you get full power braking even at continuous full revs. Unlike a servo system.

12. rpatten Forum Member

That sounds intresting especially as I've got PAS, I sorted that out last summer.
    Anyone got any more info on this kind of system? There must be some kind of disadvantage seeings as Audi didn't carry on doing it. Either way it's worth a look.

Something else that I've found out down the breakers yard is that the early skoda's that VW made had a similar push rod system but it was all hiden behind the dash so I'm guna have a look and a measure up at the weekend.

I've got no real problem with the servo being in the engine bay as I can colour code it to the car, it's just that push rod mechanisum that I don't like, but all the same if I could hide the servo too all the better.

13. Dave

Quite a few Audis used this system when there was no room for a servo on RHD cars because of inlet manifold.
    On these Audi units, the power steering and brake pump are in one unit, a tandem pump. Bits from a 2.0L 16v Audi 80 should do the job. Same water pump as Golf. PS bracket a bit different but will fit.
    Master cylinder and mounts from the 80 will be required. Original pipes may fit. Or get hydraulic pipes made up. As I said, big advantage = full power to brakes even at constant high revs when the vacuum in the inlet manifold is low.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This sounds like a very interesting piece of kit.

Any pictures or part numbers Dave?

15. Dave

This is the 90Q set up:
    Accumulator behind the bracket. Size of a grapefruit.
    [​IMG]

Big master cylinder. Big front calipers on the 90Q. 80 16v should be smaller.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tandem pump. If no power steering on the car. The original power steering pump may do the job This tandem pump is heavy cast iron.
    [​IMG]

As to part numbers. I am willing to do a search if requested. ETKA or VAGCAT will do the job. I'm also willing to put my neck on the line and suggest a kit to do the job. But, I will need a little time. If really pushed, I'll take the kit off the Audi, it has to come off anyway for the super light weight rebuild. It's already stripped inside for the seam welding, rear door welding and Recaro seat bracket fitting. And offer the bits up to the 1987 PB.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's great - gives some indication of what it is. Weight sounds an issue, but then what do twin servos weigh?

17. rpatten Forum Member

sounds great i'd be intrested in some kind of kit. I don't think weights an issue, if anything lossing the servo and the massive weight of the push rod system would be an improvement. this seems the way to go, good brakes a cleaner looking engine bay and VAG parts.
    Am I right in saying that the brake disks from the audi 80 fit the mk1? if so then the calipers should only be a case of a bracket and then you should have some awsome braking and relitively cheap pads and disks. just gota finish work early on saturday and make my way to a scrappy, fingers crossed find me some old school audis.:)

18. Dave

Get yourself onto vagcat.com and look at the Audi 80s, before you go scrappying!

1990 80 16v 6A for sure. But not the commonest of cars. Look at similar age Audi 90 & 100 5 cyls.

Pretty sure the 80 brakes are much like the late model Mk2s for size. Be careful, if the master cylinder is too big, you could end up with very short travel at the pedal.

The feel is brilliant, almost like non-servo, but without having to jump on the pedal for a quick stop. Iv'e owned early Golfs and Polos without servos, and Mk1s with the aweful linkage system. Funnily enough, the Volvos of the same age, and earlier, had a remote servo system like the Autocaven one!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  19. rpatten Forum Member

I must admit i'd like to drive an audi 80 first I think to see how the brakes feel

20. Dave

Just remembered there is another way of using a remote servo.

In the day some cars had a remote servo with only hydraulic connections, about 150mm dia. IIRC, some 1970s BMWs had two.

Servo sits wherever you like, as long as you can get a vacuum pipe to it from the manifold. Connect both rear brake pipes to one circuit on the pedal master cylinder. Blank off one of the remaining front brake outlets, and connect the other to the servo. Two pipes from servo go to front brakes.

Non-power rear brakes. Brake circuit split now front to rear not diagonal split. Diagonal split was nicked from Saab anyway.