Mk1 hillclimb Golf @ Gurston Down

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by mr hillclimber, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Boff Forum Member

Hi Paul

Thanks, almost as loud as yours ! :lol:

Will do. You bringing yours out ?[/QUOTE]

Got a few bits to do to it before its back on the road, currently saving for some AP's and got to get a new wing and some paint work sorted after the wheel incident at Llandow.

Going to replace the oil cooler as well, as on the track things are getting a bit too warm, don't want any incedents with the motor.

I'm aiming for June/July to have it all sorted cash flow permitting, good old vw's [:^(]

I'd love a go at hillclimbing but the car would need some work done to make it any good. I can't get on with it on tight and twisty roads/tracks (got to used to the Evo I think[:$] )anything below 3rd gear is just a nightmare to get it to grip and not understeer. Trying to get into the low 1:20's on coombe this year and hopefully break through driver skill permitting. Have to see from there.

Be good to watch you though.

Cheers
    Paul

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

[/QUOTE]

he's on a 1.8 at the mo! last time he was there he broke his rear poly mount (one off of the diff housing) and posted a 48.5 iirc.. the mount was missing from the gate up so there's time to come off if he can keep it together this time. we ended up doing a temporary fix with a ratchet strap for his 2nd run :lol: although i think jon was missing some confidence knowing what was holding his car together!

cars had a good sort out over winter (had problems with a gap between panels next to the turret :o

should be good to see you both competing this year! think he's still doing double drive with pete for this season to.[/QUOTE]

What happened to the 2ltr then? (re-built by Nick Benton's Pure Motorsport ?) Thats how Anthony ran it last was'nt it?

I've had one of those break, got a solid plasic/nylon type one in there now that we made, vibrates a touch !..:lol:

That'll be good if they're out then.

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

[:[].. Strange on the handling front, p'raps we need to hook up and have a look bud. Would be good on some sprints, more run off and normally less to hit !

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

Jons is definitely 1.8 so he could stay in his current class (A2 is it?). originally he'd planned to go 2ltr but then changed his mind not long before it went to nicks.

that engine was rebuilt by nick over the early part of last year. makes pretty good power for a 1.8 with a sensible rev limit ;) :lol:

Anthonys old red one was sold a good year or so ago now to make way for his rover tomcat.

5. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Ah.. I know it was 2ltr when Anthony used it in the Toyo series, I remember them having a fair bit of trouble with it on and off, plus he used it like that for an event at Wiscombe, 2004 when I was last there I think ?

What power is it now, or will I have to squeeze it out of Jon ! :lol: I Know it was 145 at the wheels in the old 1800 when we dyno'd it and about 155 as a 2ltr.

6. Dub20vt Forum Member

iirc the last time it was on the rollers for mapping it made a solid 160bhp atw.

that's with a 7000rpm rev limit.

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

MMM.. not bad, gettin there ! :lol:

Who's rollers was that, Mark shillabers's ?

8. 16valver Forum Member

Nice, the car sounds awesome!

I have seen that hillclimb on a few vids I have seen of G.Wight Jnr's V10 predator, looks like some quite high speed stuff!

9. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Thanks... Just put some more up.

Got some more at Gurston with some more saloon's & and a few single seaters, I'll get them on later in the week.