Mk1/Mk2 oil pressure switches - just out of interest have you ever had one activate?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by mr.brown, Dec 17, 2015.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Well over 200 VWs and I've never had an oil pressure warning light/buzzer come on for anything other than a fault in the switch/wiring/circuit board.

Any one else? And did it do any good? I would imagine if the low pressure light/buzzer comes on you've already lost all your oil and foobared your engine.

:)

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Yep, but it wasn't a factory set-up.

A PO had installed a VDO gauge sender 'lump' at the oil filter location on my 8v. Only issue was that the pressure switch inside it was a 0.3 Bar one, so the wiring had all been re-routed and the 1.8 bar switch moved to the end of the oil gallery in the head. That one would trigger occasionally, when everything was very hot. I had a feeling that there wasn't really a serious oil pressure issue, as the VDO gauge didn't seem to show a particularly low number at the times it was 'alarming', just marginal.

So I took off the VDO set-up as an experiment, moved the pressure switches and wiring back to their normal locations, and no more warnings.

I think you can get low pressure without losing any oil, just through bearing wear or pump strainer blockage.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Always tap the oil pressure gauge from the filter head, so sensing as close to possible crank bearing pressure. Not a fan of the cylinder head tapping location.
    Jon

blis likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah mine warned me of an actual low pressure issue on my 8v, the low switch would drop to barely 0.1bar when it warmed up when sat in the factory position in the side of the cylinder head, moved to filter housing all was well.

The reason for the low pressure was down to the 'rebuilt and flowed head' I had just fitted having completely trashed cam cap bearings [:x]

so as you can see, it is useful to monitor the pressure in then 8v head :lol: