Mk1 Scirocco

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by GRINGOG60, Jul 28, 2004.

1. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Guys,

Thinking about picking up an 81 Scirocco GTi 1600. Ive already been to see it.

The car ir preety much mint apart from the odd little rust bubble on the sill and it has the Tan leather seats from the Storm and also the wheel and the "rare" three spoke sterring wheel.

The only thing is that the engine is preety much shafted - its done 170k and only fires on three cylinders.

What i want to know is if any of you guys have had one of these and also if it is possible to fit a 2.0 lump from another golf/passat??? and weather i can use the gearbox etc and use the loom on the car???

Ive just finished putting in a valver in a Mk1 Cab which i found preety much straight forward so surely this cant be to difficult to bang a 2ltr in it???

What are your views chaps? and idea on the 2ltr swaps...

2. Unknown Forum Junkie

essentially they are mk1 golfs with tarty (rusty) coachwork, most engines will fit in the normall way (check the clearance under the bonnet though) An ABF or 9A with the appropriate gearbox would make a crackin car!

3. Unknown Forum Junkie

almost forgot..PICS!

I love these cars and dont see enough of them.

4. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

IS it possible to transplant a 2ltr lumo into it though from another golf or passat???

Cheers

james

5. drew Forum Member

Anything you can do to a mk1 golf you can do to a mk1 scirocco.

Cheers,

Drew.

6. Unknown Forum Junkie

Drew's right. But I'd still make some checks
    You say you've fitted a 16v to your mk1, get a straight edge on the tops of the suspension turrets and measure the distance above or below them that the highest point on the engine sits. Then see if there is clearance in the scirocco bay, the turrets should be a consistant hieght from one A1 chassis car to annother so it'll give you a good idea. Also measure up from the front crossmember as the bonnet might come lower at the front (bet you a quid :lol:)

There was a nice G60 in a blue one (Mickey Marrows car) and a guy called Snorky had a 16v on one IIRC. Dunno what happened to either car they dont post anymore.

treat that rust NOW! we had a couple of them a few years ago and they rusted out faster than I'd have liked. [:[]
    Edited by: Unknown

7. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

1.8 DX head onto a 2.0 (3A) Audi bottom end is the most straightforward swap. That way you keep the K-jet system(although you'll probably need the later slightly larger injectors) and more importantly the intake manifold stays at the same height so no clearance problems.

The only other things you'll need are a block-off plate for the breather on the Audi block (upon which you then mount the WUR) and a knock sensor.

Check out

this

driversfound - click Tech Tips then Engine Swap info

and probably the most comprehensive engine swap guide here

** there is at least an inch less clearance under the bonnet of a mk1 Rocco than Golf.
    Edited by: mr.brown

8. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Thanks MrBrown for the info - thats really helpful but i cant really read all of that at the mo as am at work- Arse!

9. mickey marrows Forum Member

The 16v Mk1 Scirocco formerly owned by the aformentioned Snorky is now in the loving ownership of Brad Stevens, owner of the mk1 Passat in this months PVW, it is about to be rebuilt. My own G60 is still alive, just won't be seen in public until 2007...