Mk1 Soundproofing Q’s

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by fionn, Nov 14, 2003.

1. fionn Forum Member

Doing a bit of soundproofing on my Mk1 as I put it back together. I've put some heavy matting on the floor & the next material I have to find a home for is a large sheet of soundproofing foam. Its 25mm thick & one side is self adhesive for applying it to whatever.
    I'm going to line the underside of the bonnet with it for a start. I was just wondering about doing the rear quarters (behind the rear door cards). I was thinking of building up 2 layers in there to help keep down road noise from the arches etc. However I was wondering if there's a likelihood of any moisture entering this area?
    The foam is pretty absorbant stuff & I dont really want to be promoting rust.

Any thoughts on it?

2. destructiv dave Forum Member

did this in my Mk2 the other day and sprayed my soundproofing with waxyol underseal.

3. fionn Forum Member

mm Im worried about the surface of the foam thats in contact with the panel inside. The last thing I want is for my panels to rust from the inside out without me knowing about it.

4. Rahul Forum Junkie

im pretty sure that the spray stuff does not affect the metal and cause it to rust!

5. fionn Forum Member

or at least thats what you're hoping, judging by your other post ;)
    My soundproofing is in a solid sheet, 2m x 1m with a self adhesive backing, so its not spray on.
    I'm just worried because its an open cell type & will definitely hold moisture if it gets any.

6. essex_lad Forum Member

I really don't think you'll have a problem, I stuck self adhesive rubber soundproofing pads into the area you're talking about and as I recall I can't see how any moisture could get into that area really.

Good luck with the soundproofing btw, I stripped out the entire interior from my MK1 and soundproofed everything that the factory hadn't bothered with. I've probably added about 30Kgs to the cars weight but it's worth it, it makes a massive difference to the MK1.
    Edited by: essex_lad

7. fionn Forum Member

essex_lad - I'm glad to hear that you had no problems, is just that my soundproofing is a heavy foam type of stuff that would really hold water as opposed to a rubber mat that it would fall off. Anyway I think you're right, theres not much chance of moisture getting in there anyway. I think I'll give it a go & check periodically for dampness behind the door card.

Glad to hear also that the soundproofing was a success, I've added 25kg by the matting that I've added to the floor already! I plan to put in the original carpet (which I have power washed) & then the new custom made carpet that I bought on top.

Together with the under bonnet, door, rear quarter, bulkhead and boot soundproofing (rubber mat in boot) I'm hoping that I should be able to hear the radio :p

All up it could be up to 35Kgs when finished I think!