mk1 to the Alps i dit it!!!!

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by sportline, Jun 18, 2008.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Cool.

2. Dubmuffin Forum Member

I'd love to do something like this one day. Props to you.

3. James_mk2 Forum Member

looks amazing, how long did it take to get to troyes once you were in france? doing a similar trip 1st august but going down to italy, and we've got home==>troyes as our first day, but we arrive in dunkerque at 1am so we've literally got all day to do it!

4. sportline Forum Junkie

james. if you take the auto route you can be in troyes in 3.5 hr. But drive to Reims and get off the motorway, take the road that runs allmost parallel to the autoroute. its a wonderful road that takes you through tiny villiages with patisseries (bakers) in evry one. its a fast road thats very good fun. loads of places to pull in and chuck a tent up or sleep out if the weathers good. this route will take you about 4.5 hours from dunkerque. but it feels much quicker than sat on the mundane motorway for hours on end. you dont see any of france from the motorway, and the services are twice the price of the villiage shops.
    how many miles to italy is it? i drove from Amalfi to Sorrento once. that too is an incredible drive. allthough very busy.

5. James_mk2 Forum Member

we're going to albenga, which i think is about 900 miles (going via le mans and millau bridge on the way so not most direct route, then via chamonix/mont blanc tunnel on the way back) its just a little further down the coast than Nice, near Monaco

6. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

Im inspired actually.

I might take the mk3 on a trip you know.

Jon - fancy it?

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

driving holidays seem like such fun... I really want to do one next year. shame the price of fuel is the way it is.

gotta feel like you have bonded with your car when you have just done 1800 miles and its 20years old!!!

8. karmann gettit

karmann gettit Forum Member

I was gonna do the Mongolian Rally this year but sadly had to pull out due to family commitments and work. It's next week.... I hope that the main man Jerry does well on it. Arr well, maybe next year...
    I don't think I'll be having any driving holidays in the new motor, although I could probably camp in it but would have to be a very close location.

9. Admin Guest

does it have to be in the mk3??:lol:

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

:lol: i read his sig, then saw he was talking about a mk3 and just though "no really, a mk3 isn't best left alone at all... it needs seriouse improvements ha ha

11. RobC Forum Member

Small world, my folks have a place on the hill you can see to the left of your pic! Done the drive over there a few times myself but never ventured much off the autoroute until I get to Cluses. Some of the roads around Morzine & Avoriaz are awesome but tricky in the snow with rwd and a car full of terrified people!

I'd love to go over in summer and try out some of the slopes on the bike. Any recommendations?

12. sportline Forum Junkie

just go up the ski lifts and follow the tracks and trails, if you want hardcore downhill its all easy to find. if your after more mellow riding you just need the small map they give you and its pretty easy to work out a nice route. some of those holiday chalets on the hills were amazing.

13. RobC Forum Member

Had a quick ride out up to Lake Montriond on a crappy borrowed bike at Easter. Some serious gear and braking issues but just about managed it! I reckon the Red route down Pleny into the town would be a beast, it's scary enough on a board.

Staying on the hill is cool but the stagger back up there after a night in the Dixie bar is a proper b*tch!

14. sportline Forum Junkie

i saw the dixie bar but didnt go in. there was a bar right on the end at the bottom of the stret opposite the market that sold some really strong but very good beers. we had a few pitchers of them, think it was about 6or 7 percent[:D]

15. Hypermonkey Forum Member

Glad you had a good one chap...looks a great adventure:)

16. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Haha - why don't we ALL go??? The beer and profiteroles mmmm yummy, keep the pizza.