Mk1 warm starting problem

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Bod 1968, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Bod 1968 New Member

Pulling my hair out

Mk 1 tin top garaged for 15 years
    So far changed the fuel tank and all under car lines fuel pump think it’s the right one. Bosch 0580 254 053 with in line none return valve , metering head serviced and injectors tested new fuel filter and dizzy cap , car starts first time and goes well on the road , stop for twenty minutes won’t start, opened fuel cap rush of air , try to start takes about 30 goes then runs lumpy for. 5 seconds then great have checked the accumulator, no fuel comes out if you turn the screw , is it with changing this because that’s the only thing left to change

ideas appreciated

2. watercooled Forum Member

No thats correct ,fuel shouldn't come out when you loosen the screw, unless the accumulator is leaking inside,ask me how I know? no need to replace .
    Is your fuel pump running ever time when you turn the key to the "on" position before cranking, if not all the time your fuel pump relay could be @ fault ,you can fit a jumper wire in the relay for pump to run continually as a test.
    Did you test or replace the tank lift pump ? ,if faulty it could be causing your issue as the HP pump won't prime ,with the jumper wire in you can check to to hear if it is buzzing or vibrating ,again with the jumper you can check for correct voltage @ both pumps.
    See how you go ,cheers.

3. Bod 1968 New Member

What I don’t understand is the car starts first time every time cold, and runs perfectly, but once hot it won’t start turns over and I can hear the pump buzz for about 3 / 4 seconds and the relay click by the glove box, why does it start cold when all the pressure would be gone over night, guessing I will have to live with it , we are going to fit a new accumulator and see if that helps with the loss of pressure, tried turning the key for the pump to start about 5 times the car started but only on what seems three cylinders for about 10 seconds then the car runs perfectly

any other ideas what it could be ??

thank you for your reply