Mk2 1.3 Carb getting 1.8 digi FUELLING QUESTION

Discussion in '8-valve' started by milkyjoe, Aug 24, 2008.

1. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

Hello again!

Got hold of 1985 Mk2 Golf Match with 1.3 Carb and engine was shot. Along with the car came the 1.8 digifant engine and 90% of the necessary stuff was there for the convertion.

I am getting everything together to do the convertion and i am at a slight loss as to the fuel pump set up.

As you are probably aware, the 1.3 has an in tank lifter thing (not very technical me!!) with a 2 wire plug (live and earth presumably).

I have sourced myself a new tank from an 8v and it has a four pin in tank sender and the fuel pump comes with a 2 pin connector.

Can anyone help me with the wiring arrangement for the new set up or is there a trick i am missing???

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I have a suspicion that it doesn't. That two-wire connnector will be the fuel level gauge sender. Fuel pump is mechanical, attached to the engine.

Someone will be along soon to confirm/help more. :)

3. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

Well i had a phone call well late last nite from some guy off pistonheads who has been extremely helpful. He has looked over his 16v and confirmed the following.

4 pin of in tank sender, 2 wires spur off to the pump and rest go back to relay box.

He is looking over it properly today and getting back to me.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as said no electrical pump on a carby, just a 2 pin fuel level sender. You have everything yuou need to make it work, except the extra 2 earth/power feeds for the 2 pumps and a fuel pump relay. You need to find yourself a fuel pump loom from a GTI :)
    note that pre-90 MK2s had a 3pin plug on the in tank fuel pump, 90s had 4.

5. milkyjoe

milkyjoe Forum Member

I have the new tank with the four pin but i am not having much luck locating a loom. One will come up sooner or later unless anyone knows of anyone........................

I am nearly there!!