Mk2 1.6 driver brake upgrades

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by crayon, Feb 20, 2023.

1. crayon Forum Member

Morning all
    I've got a Mk2 1.6 driver that I want to upgrade all the brakes on.
    it's been a very long time since I started to plan the upgrade and now I've lost all the details I gathered for the parts needed,
    fir the rear if fitted a complete gti rear beam complete with discs and pads and also the adjuster.
    on the front I'm struggling a bit.
    I've got the hubs from a mk3 convertible so I have the bolt on carriers and I've got girling 54 calipers, I was hoping to run 280 discs but I'm ok with 256, I'm just struggling with part numbers as there are different widths pads and discs, Also would I need to upgrade the Master cylinder and servo?
    IMG_20230218_085942.jpg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

pictured brakes are 239mm, just to double check that's the old mk2 stuff there not the newer cabrio 256 right?

with the 256/280mm brakes you'll want a post-87 22mm master cylinder, while you're there may as well put a 9" servo on too but its not strictly necessary. any 1.8 petrol mk2 will have one plus auto 1.6 and manual diesels

the larger master reduces the brake pedal travel you would otherwise get fitting the front brakes with the larger cylinders, and the servo helps with the brake effort

3. crayon Forum Member

The hubs pictured are the ones from the mk3 cab and I believe the carriers and calipers are from a mk3 gti as the gap between the piston and pad arm is 65mm so wider than the 280mm caliper, I think that's the main think I'm struggling with, finding discs and pads to match

4. crayon Forum Member

the carriers need these type pads because of the tabs on the end Screenshot_20230320_184525.jpg

5. rubjonny

right so those wont work with the girling 54 calipers, you need a set from a car with 256 or 280mm brakes as well as the matching brake carriers to bolt onto them. the carriers are not part of the bearing carrier on cars with 256 or 280mm brakes like this:
    4stud256carrier.jpg

6. crayon Forum Member

The bearing carriers I have in the picture are the ones with the separate bolt on carriers and the calipers are girling 54

7. crayon Forum Member

8. crayon Forum Member

Attached Files:

9. rubjonny

aaaahh. those are 5stud MK3 288mm calipers and carriers, bolted to 4 stud bearing carriers. the 288 carriers are similar design to the 239mm thats why I got confused on first glance, I should have looked a bit closer.

remove those carriers, source some 280mm calipers & carriers then the g60 type 280mm discs and pads will bolt right up

crayon likes this.