MK2 16v 91 Manifold and downpipe rattle

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Amrit_G2_16v_91, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Amrit_G2_16v_91 New Member

Hi,

Recently I have purchased a 1991 MK2 16v in Oak Green.
    The previous owner has replaced the factory manifold and downpipe with a one piece after market one from ebay.

The problem I am having is that when I rev over 3000rpm I get a tinkering\rattling sound flowing through the exhaust.
    Hope this is clear[:D]

I have checked the exhaust bushes and a couple need replacing but this does not seem to be the issue. I have also checked the if it is sealed correctly but all seems ok and tight but can not 100% sure on this.
    However there is one thing that I have noticed is that there is no heat wrap on the downpipe. Do you think this could be the cause?

I want to change this back to stock but having trouble finding a decent manifold.

Thanks,
    Amrit

2. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

rattle

sure it aint maybe a missing bolt on the inlet manifold supporting bracket

3. Amrit_G2_16v_91 New Member

Hmmm, never thought of that. I will check that in the moring if the weather holds out.
    Thank you for your quick response.
    If not off to the scrappies early to find a VAG manifold.

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its normally the heatshield connect to the airbox warm are feed.

5. Amrit_G2_16v_91 New Member

Thanks guys, I have checked the supporting brackets and also the heatshield and this does not seem to be the problem.
    Could it be that the manifold and downpipe are made from poor and thin material that's making this noise. Because today I went out on a long drive and decided to have a look and the pipes were glowing red.