Mk2 16v Buying guide? what to look for?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Lofty, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Lofty Forum Member

I'm going to view some Mk2 16v's in the near future and need to know what to look for in particular.

My main concerns are identifing structural rust (MOT failing) And the common faults like rear anti roll bars bushes ect??

Any help much appreciated

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Have a good dig about for rust (should be solid throughtout if it`s been maintained well.

Check the Rear beam isn`t bent (look for un-even rear tyre wear and wheel angles) common problem...

Check it cold starts well and doesn`t rattle from cold, may do for 30 sec but any more and the tappets are starting to go. Keep an ear on the crank..

You want good hot and could idle, turn the car on but don`t start the engine, you should here a buzz from the isv (passenger side of the inlet manifold) if not it`s either knackered or the control box is f**ked.

If it`s over 90k and on original suspension it`s probably knackered!

Do a good long roadtest, should get a good kick at 4k rpm up as it comes on cam, check for oil smoke etc.

You realy want a 90 spec car.

Just a few points I`ve picked up from owning one!

3. Lofty Forum Member

great stuff, thanks for the advice, i'v called 4 and they have all been sold so far!

4. Rahul Forum Junkie

you can buy a 16v im selling!

5. Lofty Forum Member

i want a 1990+ Mk2 oak green or black 16v but would possibly consider an 8v (sorry if it reads like an ad)

6. VeedubyaGTi

VeedubyaGTi Forum Member