Mk2 16v Engine Rebuild

Discussion in '16-valve' started by richie1893, Feb 9, 2012.

1. richie1893 Forum Member

Hi all, I decided late last year that I wanted my engine overhauling. It is high mileage (164000) and thought I would get it sorted before it goes drastically wrong. Well I had a look on the internet to see what options there are. I spoke to C&R but got no reply. Spoke to TSR and got a quote for the 1.9 Cadwell pack. I also spoke to a company in Reading (no name yet). I actually visited the Reading company and had a chat with the 2 guys that run the place Rob and Mark. I explained what I was after, an engine overhaul and a bit more power. I explained I was happy with top end just wanted to get there quicker. Rob has been building VW race engines for quite some time. I explained that I wanted to keep the original engine as I knew it was still running sweet. Rob explained what they would do as part of overhaul. Well I was sold. To be honest as soon as I saw how clean the workshop I was interested. Well the car has been in for just under a week now and I went up to visit today, very happy with what I saw.

1. Engine/gearbox removed.
    2. Engine stripped, cleaned and inspected.
    3. Cylinder head stripped, cleaned and inspected. On inspection it was noted that head gasket was on it's way out, so looks like I timed it just right
    4. Bottom end will be re-bored and new pistons fitted. Original pistons no longer available so will be replaced with Mahle Pistons. Any thing else that needs replacing will be replaced.
    5. Cylinder head is in process of being flowed. I am keeping standard cam shafts.
    6. Once engine and cylinder head have rebuilt they will be painted. I am going to have gearbox repainted as well.
    7. There is slight play on the gearbox diff output shaft so that is going to be checked and fixed.
    8. Inlet manifold and rocker cover are going to be stripped, polished and laquered. Top of rocker cover will be shaved down slightly on ribs.
    9. While engine was out Rob explained that the wishbones on suspension were quite shabby so I am having new ones fitted with the seams being welded and poly bushes fitted. Rob explained they are only tack welded around sides and so dirt and water can ingress between2 halves and potentially corrode from the inside out.
    10. Engine bay will get a thorough clean before refit.
    11. Once everything is refitted car will go on their rolling road for tune up and final checks.

Well that's it for now. I am going back to visit again late next week some time. By that time engine should back together and ready to re-fit. Once I have car back I will leave a verdict and a name for company.

BLOCK AFTER CLEANING
    [​IMG]

HEAD BEFORE CLEAN GASKET WAS ON IT'S WAY OUT.
    [​IMG]

HEAD AFTER CLEAN
    [​IMG]

START OF PORTING
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jonlikescad Forum Member

Incredible work fella! A man after my own heart. I've broken 2 KR powered cars in the past, so anyone who can master the 16 I humbly salute.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

now that is a bit of kit [8D]

4. jedi Forum Member

Watching this with a keen eye this is exactly what i want to do to my engine, will be interesting to see what sort of power output it'll produce have they given you any indication yet what to expect

5. mk2bal Forum Member

Hopefully it'll be better than chuckin a 200 abf engine in and being done with it!! All that labour equals diy 20vt conversion in my eyes...

6. richie1893 Forum Member

Rob, who is doing the engine, has his own Mk1 scirroco. He has been experimenting on his engine and cylinder head and claims to have 200+ bhp. I don't doubt that looking at the way he works. Not sure if I want that much power though. Or do I ? [:^:]. I have been given a quote for power output but will wait till she's been on their rolling road.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. richie1893 Forum Member

I did consider putting an ABF in but then decided to stick with my first choice which was to keep her original, even down to original engine. If you haven't seen her this is where the engine will be going.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. Cipher Forum Member

Very nice! :thumbup: Love seeing an original Golf in that sort of condition!

9. richie1893 Forum Member

Latest

Well I went to visit my car today. The engine rebuild has started and I've got a a few pics to post:

CLEAN AND PAINTED BLOCK
    [​IMG]

RE-BORED CYLINDERS
    [​IMG]

NEW PISTONS AND FITTING
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PISTONS CONNECTED UP
    [​IMG]

ANCILLARIES ALL CLEAN AND PAINTED. NOTE LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL
    [​IMG]

ANCILLARIES BEING FITTED. NOTE CYLINDER HEAD ON SHELF BEHIND, NEXT FOR CONSTRUCTION.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well what can is say. Impressed? Very much. Rob is very meticulous with his work. Everything is cleaned, checked and cleaned again prior to fitting. Any excess sealant that may leak out of gaskets is wiped off. The plan was to go up again to watch head being built but Rob is under pressure from other work so he is working late tonight to get head started so looks like I'm going to miss out on that. I'm not worried because I know it's going to be done properly. Rob also identified a couple problems with the gearbox. One of the diff output shaft bearings was shot and a couple of the gears had some chips in the gear teeth. So that is going to get sorted as well. Priority of work has changed now. Engine, gearbox and any other bits that will fit in the budget.

While I was there a guy came in with is mk1 Campaign that had had a 2.0 16v G60 conversion. It had come for a rolling road test and set up. He's only had the car 10 days and was told on purchase that she still needed setting up. Well she went on the rolling road but there was no boost from the charger. Hoses etc were checked for leaks, no leaks. So the filter inlet hose was removed to have a look inside. Rob stuck his finger and pulled it out with a clump of shiny metallic grease. The metallic grease should have been white. Looks like something had failed in a big way in the charger. Charger was being removed as I left.

Overall I am very happy. Must admit when I saw the engine I felt like a kid getting a new toy. Well a big kid getting a grown up's toy :thumbup::p

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  10. richie_gti Forum Member

Very nice

11. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Looking good, what compression ratio are those pistons!?

12. richie1893 Forum Member

I've just found them by accident on TSR's website. I was looking at price of 4 branch manifold and while I was scooting round website they I found a listing for Wssner pistons and I knew that was what I was having fitted.
    Compression ratio is 12.7:1 for high compression which is the ones I have I guess as the other ones listed are low compression for turbo and they are 8.0:1..

Well the car should be on rolling road Mon/Tue. I want to watch so hopefully Tue as I have to do induction training on Monday.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. richie1893 Forum Member

OK, I've just had a call with provisional rolling road results.

180bhp :thumbup::thumbup:.

There is still a bit of fettling to be done with engine but I am a very happy man. I was expecting 160ish. But 180 is nice. Will hopefully go down on Wed to see final rolling road and collect car.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  14. jonlikescad Forum Member

180 from a rebuilt 1.8 16v :clap: you must be a happy man!

I'm very happy to see that these plates (see below - crankshaft oil seal?) are available new as I saved a good pair from an old KR in the hopes I would have another one at some point!

[​IMG]

Keep us updated for sure :thumbup:

15. richie1893 Forum Member

Yeh will do. Plan was to pick up car tomorrow but work now has me away till Sat. Gives Rob more time to play ;)

16. richie1893 Forum Member

OK, Bit of a delay. The fuel pump accumulator has given up the ghost and so that is going to need replacing. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a few days more before I can collect. Rob has told me engine is fine, just need to sort accumulator.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  17. richie1893 Forum Member

OK, Picked car up today. Very happy indeed. Rob took me around the car to show me everything connected up. Went out for a test drive with him. She's fine. Had a chat with Rob about running in and what oil to use etc. Rob said she's ready to be ragged, but I'm not going to, and any quality 10w40 semi synth oil. He did say to run the car for a couple of thousand miles, take her back and he will re-run her on rolling road and re-tune her. I've got printouts of rolling roads:

181bhp/159.5ft/lbs torque at the flywheel

[​IMG]

171.1bhp/153ft/lbs torque at the wheels (sorry about pic can't get it to rotate on Photobucket)

[​IMG]

Overall I am very happy. Now got a lovely Golf with a new engine and flowed head, newly replaced fuelling system (everything new less the pump in the fuel tank) and a re-built gearbox. I'm going to keep her a week before I tell all on the workshop. Now that engine is done, she needs a good clean. I now need to decide on gold bolts or not for my RS's. Spring is coming!!!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  18. richie1893 Forum Member

Ok, Who did work? A company called CFM Engineering,

http://www.cfmengineering.co.uk/
    http://www.facebook.com/CFMEngineering

They are based in Reading. A small company co-owned by Mark and Rob. Rob is the guy did the work on my engine and gearbox. These guys come thoroughly recommended. They will consider all work. If you do decide to contact them mention my name, Richard Lewis with the white GTi.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012