MK2 16v Golf GTI Exhaust

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jordan garrad, Feb 13, 2023.

1. jordan garrad New Member

Hi, im torn and being given different information. what size exhaust do i need? im being told 2.50" but then apparently thats not right for trackslag exhausts id need extra parts made for that exhaust to fit. and they reccomend me to have a 2.25" system which i was under the impresssion is for a 8v. i just dont wanna order the wrong pipe and also dont want to be going back and forward with the garage.

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

3. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Its is 2.5in for the 16v. I have the Jetex on my 16v - i think you commented on my youtube vid, same name [:D]

With the Jetex it can be difficult to get it to hang well and I would reccommend track slag. Not only is it a great name but they fit great and Matthew the owner of track slag is very helpful. Give him a message on facebook or via their website with your car and what you're after (comfort = quieter and performance = louder).

My Jetex exhaust came with a reducer to mate it to the downpipe (downpipe is a smaller diameter than the 2.5 in exhaust).

jordan garrad likes this.
  4. jordan garrad New Member

yeah i possibly did! thanks alot mate ill get onto that!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its 55mm for the 16v and G60, 50mm for 8v. VW systems are not imperial, they are metric. Ask me how I found that one out ;) 8v is close enough to 2" for it to not matter, but 16v is far enough away from 2.25" for it to matter, a lot :lol:

jetex and the like are 2.5"/64mm, and have a reducer to fit to a std VW downpipe

incidentally MK3 cat is 55mm, so if you fit mk3 downpipe and decat a std 16v mk2 system will fit onto it

tomasson likes this.