Mk2 16v ignition feed - long

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dUff, Dec 7, 2003.

1. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi
    I have been having problems getting my car to run since fitting KE-motronic & a 2.0 engine the wiring has been the problem as the scrapyard chopped the loooms , anyway i am past all of that with the help of sixclysl*g & audiman , but trying to get a simple live feed is proving odd ? Even the OLD coil feed is not there on cranking and returns as soon as the starter goes off..

I tried getting a feed from the ignition switch and on cranking the feed disappears now ? In the past i have had mk1`s and they are easy as they have a row on pins on the back of the fuse box to do things. 91 16v bugger all free pins on here :-(

Question really is how do i wire the thing up from the back of the fusebox . I need to identify the plugs that ran the old ECU and ignition , i only need a live feed as i have sorted the fuel pump relay ( its next to the tank now )

The Haynes manual is no good as it only has the old Fusebox and there is no Manual for the Passat 16v or COrrado ..

ANy ideas ? how does everyone do this wiring conversion work ? Feck all on the net apart from that russian web site that has loads of info on but can`t read any of it

Is Bently the way to go or should i pay VW for the info as they have to allows access to in now some new ruling

Ramble over .. the wiring mess continues , Cheers ..

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

You should have two ignition feeds from the switch. One "accesory feed" that switches off whilst cranking, and on the stays on. If you haven't got the one that stays on, then somthing is very wrong like you say. Perhaps the main ignition relay is duff?

What do you need the feed for?

I would test every black wire on the back of the fuse box, for one the stays on. Then wire in a new relay with it's own feed from the battery, all fused up properly.

3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi
    Yeah i will have a go at that, i need to the feed for the Motronic ECU , i have 3 wires to connect into it and the other positive goes direct to the battery. At the mo we can start the car by simulating the ingition switch on the ECU by touching these wires on the battery e.g the fule pump primes and we are ready to start. The car will then start, But its not great sometimes it will not pull the fuel pump relay in on cranking and after cranking it will prime again.

I may try a mk1 ignition barrel( hope its the same as i mk2) ( i have the complete unit off the car spare) so i can check for this be a problem just by unplugging it.
    Also which is the ignition relay as i have complete spare fuse box with all parts so i can swap bits over easly

Cheers