Mk2 16v instrument panel

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Harryharris, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Harryharris New Member

Hello, the clock on my instrument panel isn’t showing, and only the right hand side is illuminated?
    Is this an easy fix?
    Thanks

2. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Does the rest of the display work? Sounds like the instrument lighting has failed on the left side and possibly the clock backlight. Replacing the bulbs is a bit of a faff as you need to remove the instrument binnacle.

3. Harryharris New Member

Well I’m sure it is a faff! But if that’s what needs to happen, I need to do it!
    Do you, or anyone else have any tips?

4. Harryharris New Member

I’m taking it to brooklands this weekend, then it’s going in the garage for winter, so have plenty of time to work on it over the winter period!

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Removing the binnacle is a faff but fairly straightforward. Just be methodical, don’t miss any screws and be gentle with the switches etc. if it doesn’t all come out reasonably easily then you’ve probably missed a screw and need to check again ;)

6. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Whenever I'm replacing instrument bulbs on a Mk2, it's off with the steering wheel first to give yourself room to work. As Phil says pop out your switches and blanks and remove the philips screws to remove all the surrounds in order to access the actual binnacle screws themselves. Next, remove the speedometer cable and then you will have the unit in hand.

Ensure you get the correctly sized replacement bulbs (I don't mean the wattage although that also applies). I purchased some over here that were supposed to be the correct ones but when I tried to install them and went to lock them, there was the sound of breaking glass - they were just a fraction too long.......ballache

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  7. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I followed the guide in the haynes manual. The only thing I found helpful when reassembling was to remove the trim under the dash drivers side to reconnect the speedo drive and mfa pipe. I would also plug it in just to make sure the bulbs all work before refitting.

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Has anyone got a link to buy some spare bulbs?.

My speedo side is out but would like to replace the lot while it's out.

9. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I bought mine from heritage.

10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member