Mk2 16v issues Pump/relay??

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by nawaters, May 19, 2012.

1. nawaters New Member

Hi all

My golf broke down about 6 months ago and it turned out to be fuel pump relay, so got a new one from ECP (where I work) and that fixed the problem for a couple of months...... Then it packed up again so I took it back and put the old one in which I though was broken but had cured the non starting problems. I remember the fuel pump use to buzz on ignition priming but its now silent? It does buzz when engine runs tho. Not had any problems other than a rough start up on cold start but ran fine when warm.

Anyway drive today to the shops all good, go get my bits and it would"nt start when i went to drive off....... took the relay out and casing off, cranked it and it started up, will see if it starts tomorrow tho.

My question is do you guys think its the relay or a little more terminal like lifter or fuel pump??

The Golf does not get used much but when it does it seems to play up recently.

I would like some advice please as to what I should do, I cant get hold of an OEM relay 321906059f just pattern ones which seem to have only 4 pins from ebay will they work? Worst case the pumps are dying, is there any pumps I could use like a vr6 lifter and main? The reason i ask is my fuel lines have seen better days too and am thinking is it worth gutting the lot for new OEM items??

Thanks in advance Nick

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Do you never hear the pump prime for a second then when first turning on the ignition? Never?

3. nawaters New Member

Yes it did use to but then i changed the relay then it packed up so put my original one in and now it doesn't buzz, only when running it never primes now. Just want to get an OEM quality one that lasts, any ideas? I'll be calling scrap yards tomorrow i think.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all mk3 golf petrol cars have what you need, mk2 digi and 16v too. plus loads of other 90s vw/seats! relay number 67 80 or 167 is what you want. check the socket for corrosion, and pull the fuel pump fuse to check it and the socket for damage and corrosion.

look at the ecu in the scuttle, unplug it and check the pins. also find the 2 pin plug in the scuttle and check those pins for corrosion too, the oen with red/yel and yel/black wires (red/yellow is the fuel pump trigger from ecu)

5. nawaters New Member

Big thanks Rj, I'm not very good with electrics but will go check it right now, will let you know the result.

Do you think i have corrosion somewhere and not a duff relay then?

Thanks for the relay numbers to.

6. nawaters New Member

Ok I have checked all connections and the only one looks a little grubby is the trigger off the ECU over by the passenger side scuttle. My fuel pump relay is number 63 and is 5 pin, I have a 67 kicking around which is 4 pin but i think its fragged as it didn't work, should a 4 pin work just wonder why i have a 5 pin??

Anyways here is a little vid of what its doing

[​IMG]

The pump does not prime when i turn the key but i have the relay case off which if i manually touch contact you can hear it buzz, however it still runs like crap from cold start surely this won't just boil down to a relay?? Could the pumps be on the way out?

7. rubjonny

aha! 63 relay sounds like a k-jet 8v relay which explains the prime. not all of them will! whats the part number on it? it may also have a rev limiter in it, which obviously isnt going to be right for a 16v ;)

the bad running is probably a seperate issue, but it may just be that k-jet relay is duff. they can oxidise inside and cause a poor contact. corrosion issues as above could effect things, mine sometimes only the lift pump would run due to water damage in my fusebox, the fuse was melted in the socket as well i really dont know how it ran at all!

8. nawaters New Member

Well I owned the car 6 yeas now and it use to prime with the 63 but no more.... part number for that 63 relay is 321906059f. Funny you say about the 67 relay as i robbed all the relays from a corrado being broken which was a k-jet 16v hence why i have a spare one but looks a little cooked, are you saying it should be a 4 pin relay like 67 if so I'll try one from work. Worth a try for a couple of quid.

My mum has an 88 16v on her drive just like mine that she don't use think i may go check that out too see what that has as its original and under cover :thumbup:

Will try that then look into poor running, never know it may fix it (wishful)

9. rubjonny

yeah thats deffo a k-jet 8v relay, not right for a 16v. mk2 digi and 16v use a 4 pin relay which is triggered by the ecu, number 67, 80 or 167. same one is found in mk3 golf petrol models and loads of other 90s vws so not hard to find!

10. nawaters New Member

Cheers RJ wil go get one now and see what happens, mucho thanks.

11. nawaters New Member

Ok I've no idea what's going on now. My golf was on the turn as its a 1988 model. I took the relay from my mums 88 16v which was the different 67 relay and even bought a new relay. Guess what the pump still does not prime or even run with that relay in place, I'm confused well and truely. I took the fuse box out at its just a mass of crap with half the stuff looking cut and spliced together.

What should I do now other than junk the car as I don't have massive cash to throw at this car anymore but I still love it even tho it has been a complete s@*t recently.

Serious how cheap and easy would a vr6 or 20vt conversion be could I do it myself? I'm not a tard but no brain surgeon either haha cheers

12. rubjonny

to test the relay and wiring, switch on the ignition then find that 2 pin plug i mentioned earlier and earth the red/yellow wire pin to the battery or chassis with a bit of wire. make sure you earth the car side not the ecu side. if in doubt just earth both :lol:

this should bring the fuel pump on, if not the issue is not the ecu but somewhere after. it may be an aftermarket alarm or immobiliser is causing the problem, certainly sounds liek one is fitted if the loom has been hacked about like you say.

makes no odds what year the 16v is, they all use the same type of fuel pump relay. 67, 80 and 167 are all compatible with each other :)

where is the hazard switch, dash or column?

13. nawaters New Member

My hazard switch is on the dash so i know its the early type fuse box.

The car does start sometimes from cold on the first turn of the key without the pump priming but it bugs me that it always use to work and now does not.

I will try the test you said in the next couple of days as i don't use it everyday. Should i leave it connected and splice the car side to earth, if that works where should i try next or just play hunt the wire?

Two pics of wires that are not connected to nothing behind the fusebox what do they do?

[​IMG]
    green attached to nothing

[​IMG]
    and this

Do you think its worth starting from scratch and getting a used loom and fusebox?
    I only ask as I'm getting the hump with it, or shall i persist and try to find the problem, i do have an alarm on the car but it never stops the car from running, the one it came with did tho

as i said the car only runs with this relay 63 and i want it to work with 67 and prime from the start as it should, then i can look at the poor start up from cold

Could you possibly give me a complete idiots guide as my haynes manual is rubbish, Thanks again for all your help, I doubt id of even challenged it without what you have said

14. rubjonny

green is aircon, black/yel is a spare ign live feed. basically by earthign the wire you are checkign the relay and weiring back to the fusebox. if it runs the pump when earthed its all good back there, problem is the ecu or wiring from it to the plug in the scuttle.

if you want a wiring diagram see my sig g2krecuce1.pdf

15. nawaters New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED :thumbup:

I thought for 10 just try a new 5 pin relay from work and it works just hoping this one lasts, still I can't help but think now it should be a 4 pin and what's up with my loom then!!! Oh well it's strange how my old relay wouldn't prime on ignition but would when made contact and the new one does.

Also fixed the running issue as well, got a brand new vdo ISV which has fixed the poor start up and does not splutter anymore, I would not want to buy one of those at full retail!!!! Got it for 90 in the end.

Just want to say once again a big thanks RJ for talking a tool through this and keeping the love for my mk2, sorry if I pestered you to. Your knowledge is immense cheers :clap:

16. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

now that it's sorted why don't you bring the 16v to the next Essex meet [8D]

17. nawaters New Member

Sure why not where and when?

18. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Tis on Monday 11th June
    at the Old Windmill pub Hannifield

Link to meet details on my sig below

19. rubjonny

good show! just make sure that relay hasnt got a rev limiter in it ;)

20. nawaters New Member

The problems have started again!!!!!!!! Im not a happy person right now.

So things have changed I got 2 mk2 16v's now 1 alive 1 dead!!! (& an r1 with one wheel brilliant!!!!! all going well)

Both 88 kr 16v mine and I got my mums to which is a standard everyday pooch which runs like a treat. So my golf started the other day on the 3rd crank which is unlike it, then broke down in traffic...... fuel pump relay silly hot to handle, not a problem i had a spare and off i went. A friend of mine had a genuine one which he didn't need so gave it to me kindly which works fine, the car ran a little rough cold but after a minute or so smoothed out, so I warmed her up and played with the screw on the metering head and throttle body when hot idle was perfect just over 1,000 rpm ran the best i think ever.

Went to start last night and now it just endlessly cranks, I got spark to each cylinder but changed rotor arm, cap and plugs just to be safe and have magnecor leads (a yearish old) fuel pump primes, relay ticks, metering head makes a wuring noise yet still no firing, take the plugs out they smell of fuel and spark fine still. I sprayed carb cleaner in the TB while cranking and it spluttered a little bit and died but still wont start. Also cracked the fuel inlet off the metering head after cranking, i got a spray of fuel out but not the amount i had imagined.

Basically want to pick your brains, i have checked everything but timing, fuel pressure and compression. Could i be missing anything? Oh the vacuum is all good to with ISV working and over run cut off too.

Have hit a wall now and could use some inspiration to make it run again.

Cheers all