mk2 16v mods. more BHP!!!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Mk2gti8v, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Olly_P Forum Member

Right, i'm going to hijack this thread slightly, lol! I currently have a mk2 1.8 16v with a tsr performance head, full performance exhaust system, including 4 branch manifold, K&N filter, new bosh spark plugs, performance ignition leads and new coil. I've managed to save up 500 and was wondering what engine mods to splash my cash on!

How much would a 2.0 bottom end cost inc fitting? I'm relatively competent when it comes to cars, don't thing i could handle taking the engine apart though [:$] Anything else you guys think might give me a good, reliable bhp gain?

cheers :)

2. nealey Forum Junkie

damn beat me to it!

In all seriousness though as everyone else says give it a good service and get it properly set up

Also check the timing chain for the cams as this can wear and become slack, if its worn replace it

3. yamz89 Forum Member

hate to be a dur brain and i'm not thred stealing honest but i have a 89' digi 8v, any mods to be have done on the cheap at stealth? does the "WUR" mod apply to the digi's?

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

NO!!

Have a look in the 8v section.

K-Jetronic fuel injection as fitted to early (pre 88) 8v & all 16v mk2's is a mechanical system, whereas digifant is electronic.

No cheap mods on an 8v to be honest. Normal N/A tuning applies. improve the breathing & you will get more power. (Air filter/exhaust/flowed head etc etc)

5. Robos Rado Forum Member

Is the WUR mod something you can do yourself? if it is how??? Anyone had a go what do you need to do?

Ive got a 1.8 KR.... and this is a bit premature as its not even in the car yet but hey !

6. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Take off the WUR, and there is a coin shaped cover plate on the back of the unit, which you drill out.. exposing a allen grub screw, tweak that for fuel pressure.. only really play around with it if you know what you are doing with regards to Airf/Fuel ratios and k-jet system pressures..

Giving the whole K-jet system a going over is a good idea.. its not rocket science to pull apart the metering head, and flap unit.. I did all the above and fitted new injectors and brass bushes, plasic guides, and injector seals in the inlet manifold, as well as a new lift pump in the tank, and filter obviously..

Makes a big difference if done correctly..

After gettign your fuelling sorted, play with getting the maximum amount of ignition you can without detenation of course! i bought a stethescope to do this..

Other than that, just make sure all the service parts are in good nick..

As said 2.0l bottom end and upping the compression a bit witha skim will work wonders with the right additions to making the car 'breath'..

7. Golfamily7 Forum Member

When VW said the KR made 139 bhp standard, they meant all the kr engines will make at least 139 bhp and some make a good chunk more, 150+ sometimes. When vince mapped mine a few years back it made 136 standard and he said the head was really coked up, after WUR mod and jetex got 146. Went much smoother and quicker through the rev range.

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Setup is EVERYTHING..

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It means that they homolgated the engine at that power and respective torque and could advertise the product at these measurements.
    In practice engine mesurement on non OEM development devices will vary depending on type of dyno, and ambients.
    K-Jet WUR modification will mean the sometimes erratic AFR mixture at low and high rpm can be made stable and richer allowing for more engine torque and ultimately a higher bhp reading. Of course with improvments to fueling come the need to optmise spark map position and in the case of K jet motors this can be achieved by simply turning the dizzy slowly to offset the entire spark table to a compromised but more optimum performance feel.
    The make of dyno would determine what is actually displayed but percentage improvements have be realised as you have stated.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  10. 20thanny New Member

most ppl dont realise there car is running like 20-25bhp below wwhat it should be a gd service and tune and redex and clean out air system can give back a lot of those horses so this should always be your first move on any purchase oh and timing belt if you dont know when it was last done as a snapped one will cost you more while you got that off chuck in a 268 inlet cam leave exhaust one stock