Mk2 2.0 16v or E30 325i Sport?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Stu, Feb 23, 2007.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

I'm currently pondering over whether I need to buy my mates car which he'll be selling shortly. It's a black, pretty standard '89 BMW 325i Sport, see pics below, in very good condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The problem is that it doesn't really do anything that my Golf Mk2 can't, similar power (170 odd bhp ish?), probably more torque granted, about the same size, it's lacking the practicality of the hatchback and extra doors the Golf has. Of course, that's all said with my sensible head on... in reality I like the look of it, the noise it makes and the fact I've never had a RWD car makes me want it.... this one has a LSD too... and it looks so nice! [:D]

Has anyone moved over from a Mk2 to an E30 and got any experience of these cars, comments to add etc? :)

I really don't want to part with my Mk2 but it's unlikely I could justify having both cars (plus my Mk1...) as the parking space, tax, insurance, running costs etc would be too high.

One drawback of the Beemer is no A/C, and I love A/C on a daily car since having it on the Mk2 so I would be looking to retro-fit that from another E30 if possible.

On another note - anyone hazard a guess as to the value of my Mk2? I know I've spent a lot of time and money on it with subtle mods to make it my perfect everyday GTI... I would hope the Beemer could compare in terms of reliability, if not economy, I hear they are rather thirsty! [:$]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brief spec:

- 1991 Oak Green, 5 door 16v - 150k miles, very good condition

- Electric windows, mirrors (heated and adjustable), factory A/C (rare and works great), factory rear headrests, leather steering wheel, PAS

- Audi 6A bottom end (90k), 'Man in the Shed' head and manifold very recently fitted, lightened flywheel, new clutch, weighted shift rod, all new engine mounts (solid front), belts, gaskets, tensioners, nuts and bolts, blah blah, large Mocal oil cooler fitted

- Not been RR'd since head fitting but estimate 170 bhp / 150lbsft? [}:)] It goes!

- 280mm front brakes, Mk3 rear calipers (no sticky handbrake), braided lines etc

- Oil temp, pressure and volts digital gauges in dash

- BBS wheels need refurb really, on G60 steels with new Uniroyal tyres at the moment. Eibach lowering springs.

- Probably loads of other stuff I can't remember, basically looks standard, goes fast, never lets me down and never wants for any attention from me!

Any ideas on value and more importantly - am I going to regret selling this car for the Beemer? :p

Cheers

Stu

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hmm... Beemer is clean. Your rare to find and newer Oak Green looks better and not as dated. Although the "spinning propeller" badge does have grown up ring to it. You also state that your MK2 has A/C which I think makes it even more practical.
    Performance wise the Beemer may have 170bhp STD and the relevant amount of torque with the howl of a 6. But you lighter Mk2 also does this and revs to an entertaining 7200revs compared to 6500 in the BMW.
    LSD is good for traction and drifting.
    If you have spent your time tailouring your Golf to suit you ( an it looks like you done a good job too) why sell this to somebody else then take more time and effort to buy and tailor an E30?
    Just my view to your question as ultimately it is your choice.

3. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

I've owned (and loved) both an E30 318iS (the homogation 140bhp one) and a Mk1 Golf GTI.

I owned them back to back.

Both cars were absolutely wonderful and both were a load of fun. Totally different driving styles but equally entertaining.

The E30 was a comfortable motorway cruiser. It felt comfortable at any speed. Nothing phased it. Cucking it down a back road was fun and the rear wheel drive was a hoot (when it wasn't raining!)

The GTI was more of a buzz box. It would happily cruise at motorway speeds but felt more at home on twisty back roads. It was lightweight and a little screamer.

I guess it all comes down to what you want from a car and what kind of driving you do.

If I was going to be doing lots of dual carriageway/motorway miles, E30. If it was for round the town and twisty back road, GTI.

I can't tell you what to choose (do what I did and buy both! - lol) but what I can tell you is whichever you pick, you won't be disappointed!

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Toyotec and Alfa Delta - just the kind of replies I'm after. :)

I believe the 325i Sport is a pretty rare and sought after model of E30 these days as it's 'one down' from the E30 M3, and it certainly makes an excellent noise. As said though, I have already tailored the Golf to suit my needs, and to be honest would have never have thought of getting rid of it until my mate said he was looking to sell his Beemer.

I would like to have both, but I also have a Mk1 to look after and the g/f's Lupo 16v too... Hmmm... what to do?

5. dubst16v Forum Member

ive got mk2 16v 2.0 and i think id be drawn in by the rear wheel action
    but then id probably end up in a tree too lol

6. Daz... Forum Member

If you sell the Golf a time will come when you're fed up with the Beemer and you will be very hard pushed to find another Mk2 with the same spec as yours....

7. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

If you've already got a Mk1 Golf to play with then I'd be tempted to get the Bimmer.

I loved my E30 and I'd definately have another one.

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

That thought also crossed my mind... I've only driven the Beemer in the dry but I hear it's somewhat tricky in the wet... :p

Anyone ever used a standard(ish) E30 on track? I know you always see plenty at the 'Ring but I'm not sure my driving skills are up to anything other than a trundle round... that said, that's the approach I take in my Golf too at the 'Ring... [:$]

Yes - exactly my thinking, and the reason I'm wondering what to do. If I hadn't spent so much time and money getting my Mk2 to how I want it I would definitely go for the BMW 'cos I could always buy another standard Mk2 in future. Ideally I'd keep the cars I have, plus buy the Beemer but financially it'd be a killer!

Yes, I'd hardly be giving up on VW's. I have a Mk1, g/f's Lupo, brother has a Beetle, Dad has a pile of old campervans... that said, my Mk1 isn't a GTI and I don't intend to make any performance mods to it so it's never going to be quick.

Something to think about anyway... :)

9. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

I had my E30 out on a trackday at an old airfield and it was fantastic!

The only time I didn't like RWD was the first time it rained and I spun it. Once you get used to the RWD and the uninterputed steering you wonder how you ever lievd without it.

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

I had a similar quandry recently Stu, keep with VW's or go for it and try something new. I have always wanted something RWD, and now seemed as good a time as any to try it out. For the equivalent money to something along the line as a MK3 VR6, I have bought a E34 525i sport. Not quite the same comparison as a MK2 2L 16v V an E30 325i sport, but even with the gentle driving I have done so far, I am mightly impressed, jumping between a MK3 16v and the 5, its the beemer that is so much a better car to enjoy, but we will see what its like when it comes to driving with a little more spirit when the rain stops

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi Chris - so you've turned to the 'darkside' then...! :lol:
    Your 5-series sounds interesting, got any pics? An E34 is an early 90's model isn't it? Would that have the same 2.5L engine as the E30 above then, I'm not well up on different BMW models?

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with it, particularly in comparison to previously owned VW's with regard to performance, economy, daily usability etc :)

12. Seraph Banned

aye, think 'hens theeth', and you still wont be close.

i was one of the lucky ones

13. kerrly Forum Member

Before buying my 1st golf GTI i had a E30 316i for just over a year- a later one with the 1.8 engine. granted its far from a 325i but in terms of driving i must admit i miss the BMW for on the motorways, the gearing is much better for cruising as its a lot less revvy at 70-80 ISH.

I loved the interior feel, so well build and the way the dash wraps around is more like being in a cockpit lol.

The E30 always felt just a little bit sketchy at times in the wet, admittedly no LSD but there were quite a few occasions where the back would feel slightly skitish. Not such a problem in the dry when you do get some sense of whats going on at the rear before all hell brakes loose lol.

Could notice it even more after driving the fwd golf which seems to give a lot more feedback through the wheels!!

Also found E30 Boot is SHOCKING!!!!! you cant fold the rear seats down and i couldnt even fit my BMX bike in the back- the golf can take 3 mountain bikes!!!! and even a double mattress ! also rear seat space isnt anything to get excited about either- My BMW was a 4 door version which made life a little easier for people getting in the back in my experience of 2door versions the doors dont seem to be quite so long so rear access is hard! Needless to say i am have totally gone off the idea of owning another saloon.

Have also driven a mates E36 Alpina 325i a 192BHP model and although the power is delivered much smoother an progressively through the 6cylinder lump it has no sense of urgency about it compared to the golf.

14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Thanks for the replies. :)

Do the rear seats really not fold down on all E30's? I know the boot is big but it makes it somewhat awkward to use compared to a hatchback then, particularly as this one's a two-door model.

In terms of performance this one feels pretty close to my Golf, quicker low down I'd say as presumably it has more torque and it's certainly a more refined motorway cruiser as mentioned.

It seems from the replies so far that the E30 isn't a great replacement for the Golf for all round daily use, perhaps I need to work out a way to buy it for a weekend car... you can't argue with the way it looks and the noise it makes, just loses out on practicality. :)

Oh - anyone want to hazard a guess as to the value of my Golf if I did sell it? I know what I paid and dread to think what I've spent on it, but as it always the case you never get your money back modifying cars...

15. kerrly Forum Member

AFAIK none of the E30 saloons rear seats fold down, i think its due to the way the seats are attached to the parcel shelf area which is a structural part of the car, if your mate has fitted 6X9 pray he didnt start removing metal from that area as it acts like a strut brace!!!!!

I honestly found the boot was hopeless, yes you can hide a few subs in it but the certainly for me carrying bikes and you couldnt carry anything long either!

As a daily driver i prob wouldnt have another one but like you i can see the appeal of having one as a lil toy. If it was an E30 M3 on the other hand.... OH GOD YEAH ID HAVE ONE ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

16. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

I never had a problem with my E30 - was a 2-door too. Rear seats don't fold and I did once have to tie the boot down to chuck my BMX in (after my camper van broke down and my Mk1 Polo wouldn't start and I had to do all kinds of running around that night).

You've still got the Mk1 Golf if you need a car with fold down seats anyway - I'd definately have another E30.

The "iS" versions are awesome compared to the "comfort" models.

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Ok fair enough, no my mate hasn't modified the car at all, that's part of the appeal to be honest that it's completely standard. It's even standard ride height so you don't have to do 2mph over speedbumps like my cars! I must be getting old but this appeals... :p

Yes, agreed! To be honest, if it was an E30 M3 that he was selling then this thread would read 'Look I've bought a new car, does anyone want to buy my old Golf's...' ;)

True enough, would be kind of odd referring to a 30-odd year old 3-speed automatic hatchback as my 'sensible car' though... :p

18. Stu__8vgti Forum Member

My friend has just gone from a MK2 only an 8v mind and replaced it with a mint 325i e30 gave 2200 quid for it though.

I'd have to have the sport myself just to have the experiance of RWD, i've gone from a mk3 to a 328 sport and love it albeit an e36 not e30.

It's my first RWD and It is nice getting the ars3 out when giving it beans, i've bought my friends Mk2 off him for myself for some fun on the country lanes.

Seeing as it's such a rare motor now i'd be very tempted by the 25 sport if it was me, tis a gorgeous car and a lot rarer than MK2 16v's.

HTH

Stu

19. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

my mates 2.5 e30 is LOADS quicker than my valver! kills me to 60 then keeps pulling way past 120:o

it is stripped to nothingness though so it cant weigh a deal [:D]

it has a welded diff aswell, which isnt as bad as i expected so LSD should be lovely to drive with!

20. NormanCoal Forum Member

An E34 is the F to P plate model, the M5 model with the 6 cylinder lump. Mine has the same engine as the E30 325i afaik. Nice and torquey, but not quite in the same as a VR. The gearing on my 5 is quite long also, built as a tourer rather than a sprinter if you like. Ecomomy will be late 20's maybe early 30's if I eek it out a little I think. Usability wise, I think I may struggle in comparison to a golf, no big area with the seats down in the beemer as the seats are fixed, and the boot is very shallow. I'll have to wait and see on the whole experience, but for me so far, its a very comfy and relaxing drive. No doubt I will have some sort of cheap VW Golf to lug tools etc around in, so boot space in the beemer wont be a prob I hope