Mk2 20vT radiator & fan options.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dave_IOW, May 17, 2013.

1. Dave_IOW New Member

One of the undecided areas of my build I'm intrigued to hear opinions about.

What are others using, and why did you go for that particular setup?

Trawling through various build threads across many forums have shown mk2 1.3 and 16v units being used, also E36 radiators.

Function over looks for me in every area, not interested atall in what looks a 'neater' install aslong as everything fits relatively happily, I'm thinking most of the BMW ones have been used to free up space, or for tarts that want a smooth bay, I'm not one of them lol

I've tried to search, and not come up with anything in particular, I'm sorry if I've missed a particular thread and would be quite happy to be pointed in the general direction of one if it already exists.

2. Gazt Forum Member

I'm using a mk2 16v one with a cheap slimline fan,hasn't let me down yet

3. Mk2moneypit. New Member

I'm using a mk2 tdi one much longer and fits correctly, 30 from euro also keeps temp down due to larger capacity.

4. Jommanjo Forum Member

I changed the 8v rad/single fan in mine (never had a problem) for a Corrado VR6 twin fan set-up as I've deleted the heater and water/oil cooler. Testing soon. Forgot how much is was, 80 plus? Recommended for track work apparently.

5. Classy6 Forum Member

8v rad, the bigger variant (535 IIRC). 12 or 13" slimline ebay fan.

Car runs sweet, no problems at all.

6. Dave_IOW New Member

Cheers guys, do you know if it's actually atall possible to fit the 1.8t donor vehicles one? I'm pretty sure I've never heard it mentioned and guessing there's a fair reason behind it, just inquisitive.

7. Admin Guest

I think any of the rads could fit, but where is your intercooler fitted? Do you run big bumpers? Any pics of the current setup.

8. Erny Forum Member

As smudge said plenty of rads fit but your cooler placement could determine which is better suited.
    My cars small bumper and i wanted short Boost pipe routing, my IC is behind my grill i cut and welded the slam panel to house it as far forward as possible. I found the mk2 deisel and corrado vr6 rads very wide and not ideal for the bends to the cooler, mk3 vr6 rad was ideal width but tall and required the rad support to be cut and alterd to sit the rad lower, ive settled for a e36 rad (you dont have to use the integrated expansion tank) as its a little narrower than the mk3 rad and the inlet and outlets suit the 20v still needs to sit on a lowered rad suport to tuck under the slam panel nicely. If youve big bumpers then youve plenty of room for most options.

9. le cric New Member

I also used a new 8v radiator. its a modern style of core so is much more efficient than the older 'fin' type. i've paired mine with a 12inch Revotec high-power fan. Never had any issues to be honest. i also leveled my rad out so it sits square under the slam panel, but thats just my preference :)

10. richgit Forum Junkie

Corrado VR6 Rad, Evo V / VI Intercooler, 19 Row Mocal Oil Cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]