Mk2 8v digi no spark and pump not priming

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mk216vrick, Feb 9, 2014.

1. mk216vrick Forum Member

Hello and thanks for any help or information you give.

The car is a 91 8v digi and has an immobiliser fitted and recently had some welding carried out.

I am helping a friend get his mk2 running, it would intermittently be difficult to start or cut out when driving.
    The car will now turn over but not start.

Fuel-
    I have checked the fuel pump relay (80) which wasn't clicking, i swapped tit briefly for the headlight relay (53) which brought the fuel pump on. So that confirmed the wiring to the pump was good, I have now fitted a good second hand pump relay (167) but still no prime! So feel its a feed to the fusebox which is preventing the relay to switch.

Battery voltage 12.5v

Spark- we have checked from plugs back to coil and replaced each part (plugs, distributor, cap, rotor, coil)
    I have checked for a spark by removing a plug and earthing, no spark, plug in king lead -no spark.
    12v each side of the coil and drops to approx 8v when cranking, engine earth leads okay. Wiring at ecu, tci, dizzy all look good.
    I ran out of light and dry weather so I am going to check hall sender by checking the + and - with a multimeter and earting the centre switching wire to check spark.
    Tci swapped but no difference.

So my questions really are what can I try next?

Could it be immobiliser? (But I thought that cuts fuel only, not fuel and spark?)

Would the ignition switch cause this?

Ecu possibly? Checked ecu relay and this clicks also. Which wire is the 12v feed wire to the ecu multiplug connector so I can check its getting a feed.

Any help greatly received.

Thanks
    Rick

2. Collie Forum Junkie

how is the main engine earth to the chassis

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the ecu relay next, #32. a mk3 gofl 30 relay will work and cheap from vw. look in the scuttle you'll see a 5 pin plug next to the ecu, the red/yellow wire is the ecu trigger wire for the fuel relay and black/yellow is the power feed from the ecu relay. if you switch on the ignition then unplug this connector and earth the red/yellow wire the fuel pump should run, obviously you need to earth the car side of the plug not ecu side ;)