MK2 8V Digifant Overfuelling

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Juanitocobber, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Juanitocobber New Member

Hi guys,

Some insparation needed here for a 91J plate digifant. It will not start. I removed the plugs, left bores to evaporate any fuel for a few days before replacing plaugs (warmed up on gas hob) and presto, it started. This lasted for all of 5-10 secs before it stopped suddenly. I tried starting it again but no luck, all compression had gone as the engine was just spinning. I thought initially that the cam belt had snapped but it had not. I now believe that it appears to be overfuelling badly, so much so that it is waxing the cylinders. Previous trick of drying out, warming plugs has not subsequently worked, although compresion is back until waxing occurs again. With plugs removed there is a fair amount of fuel there on the plugs and in the bores.

I have read loads of posts on here which point to blown ECU, but I do not believe that the ECU has blown since the fuel pump primes and then goes off as it should, Note: I can also feel hear the relay ticking when this happens. I have tried a spare ECU which i know was good. All of the earths were cleaned before trying this spare ECU and are in good condition. Still does the same.

The timing is all as it should be and there is agood spark.

Really scratching my head on this one. Could it be something in the valve train (ie blocked hydraulic feed to lifters) rather than excesive fuel delivery to the head?

The car is way too good to scrap or sell as spares or repair, but unless I get this fixed I may have no choice.